Help New Gardener

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to grow vegetables in these black fabric 5 gallon buckets I just planted tomatoes and cucumbers in the white buckets what are some vegetables I can plant now and that will still do good i live in Eastern North Carolina and what's the best organic natural fertilizer I can use to fertilize these plants I know about banana peels,eggshells,and coffee grinds Can you use just these 3 things to grow a good garden if you had too I would make a Compost but that probably takes a long time doesn't it help me out people I need your advice
image000000_04.jpg
image000001_02.jpg
image000000.jpg
image000001.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your looking for organic then the Espoma Plant Tone or Garden Tone has been recommended here several times. It contains chicken manure and other things and I have chickens so I don't buy or use it, but I'd agree with them.

You could throw banana peels and stuff in there but it would have to break down before the plants got any nutrients from it. Even though composting seems to take awhile, it basically takes the same amount of time.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
what are some vegetables I can plant now and that will still do good i live in Eastern North Carolina

I didn't see your growing zone posted but assuming it's an 8. Brassicas should do well there until first frost...cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower at one plant per container. Radishes, lettuce, Swiss Chard, Bok choy should all do well. Plant what you like to eat and enjoy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Corn and beans have time (I can still plant those) and maybe tomatoes if you hurry. Summer squash and cucumbers too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think an organic liquid fertilizer would be best in pots. Something that is available for the plants to absorb without the need for it to break down. Adding granular fertilizer will work but it would be hard to have all the microbes break it down. The limited amount of soil limits the microbiology neceesary to support what the plant needs to stay healthy for extended periods of time.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would first start the seed in Dixie cups to help with germination and water management. When the plant gets 4 leaves then you can up-pot the dixie cups in one gallon pots. When the plants get 10 inches tall you can plant them in the flowering container like above.

Ask a Question