First Time Gardener - Need Help with Lavender

Reaction score
Country
Chile
So, basically I have two garden pots :

Oldest is 2 months old

Newest is 1 month old

I need someone who knows what Lavender is to tell me what is weed and what are Lavender sprouts, please.

Also need to know if there is a way to tell if seeds are ok or not, I suspect mine aren't.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Country
Chile
P.S : Lavender arrows point to a sprout I believe that could be the flower I'm trying to grow on the pots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lavender is a very hard seed to start to begin with, and most problems begin with germinating seeds. First you need to cold stratify them. The easy way to do that is to plant the seeds in small pots, water them and let the pots drain well. Then seal the pots into plastic bags and put them into the refrigerator for a month. After stratification a heat mat always aids in germination but lavender may still take up to a month to germinate. I have grown Lavender before but I can't tell which is which with such an early sprout. Wait until you get a few true leaves before pulling anything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have germinated seed in the past with good results using the paper towel method. I use only clean water and never tap water, my favorite water is Rain water for starting seeds. Materials you need, will be a cup saucer, and a dinner plate, and a paper towel. Wet the paper towel with rain water and open the wet towel and lay the seeds on it, then close it up. Lightly tamp the wet towel over the seeds to make sure the seeds are covered. Lay the cup saucer on top of the wet paper towel to hold in the water. Put the plate in a warm place and check back in a few days. You may have to re-wet the paper towel with a few drops of water because you don't won't the paper towel to dry out completely. Take the tiny sprouts out very gently with tweezers and transplant in potting mix. Lavender can be a challenge good luck. I hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Country
Chile
I have germinated seed in the past with good results using the paper towel method. I use only clean water and never tap water, my favorite water is Rain water for starting seeds. Materials you need, will be a cup saucer, and a dinner plate, and a paper towel. Wet the paper towel with rain water and open the wet towel and lay the seeds on it, then close it up. Lightly tamp the wet towel over the seeds to make sure the seeds are covered. Lay the cup saucer on top of the wet paper towel to hold in the water. Put the plate in a warm place and check back in a few days. You may have to re-wet the paper towel with a few drops of water because you don't won't the paper towel to dry out completely. Take the tiny sprouts out very gently with tweezers and transplant in potting mix. Lavender can be a challenge good luck. I hope that helps.

Thank you for the aid. I just found out the seeds I used are actually older than 2 years.

I spoke with the seed company and they said the expiration date of the seeds is 2 years, therefore raising my suspicions that the seeds might be bad.

Do you think this could be possible?

Reaction score
Country
Chile
The lavender seedlings are the ones with the thin long leaves, the others are weeds.
They need a lot of drainage.

Yes, but to be honest none of those sprouts look like the English Lavender variety I'm trying to plant.

Their seedlings, that is.

Of those there, only the one pointed with arrows is the one I couldn't find as weed in my lawn here at home.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had good luck germinating seeds using a Dome and tray. I have had seed that wouldn't sprout unless i used the dome. Some seed can be hard to sprout without stratifying. I also use the dome for rooting cuttings. You may want to get one to make it easier next time. .

Attachments

• IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 111

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I have had good luck germinating seeds using a Dome and tray. I have had seed that wouldn't sprout unless i used the dome. Some seed can be hard to sprout without stratifying. I also use the dome for rooting cuttings. You may want to get one to make it easier next time. .

You mean a propergater, i have 3 of those one a small one.:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, they work very well at keeping the humidity high for germinating seeds as well as rooting cuttings. A relative humidity of about 95% is recommended for germinating seeds and 65% to 80% for rooting cuttings.. The dome will allow higher moisture levels for longer periods of time. The adjustable vents on top allow one to maintain a steady humidity. For SEEDS 95% humidity for the first few days. When I see the first sprouts, I open the dome or remove it completely so the roots will grow down looking for water. I had 98% success with easy to sprout seeds but less luck with seeds like poppy and lavender. A dome will help and they are inexpensive and worth the investment if you do a lot of seeds. I hoped that helped, Good luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
If you can go on Facebook. look up Windy hill farm. its just 5 mins from me. she grows lavender , and sells products from it. this is in PA (where it gets cold). she has found the right species etc that works. Her name is Anna. She loves to share information.

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Thanks everyone for the help! I did to the stratification method with paper towel and a plastic container in the freezer, for about 21 days.

Then I wrapped up the seeds in ziploc bags with new paper towel, made them humid and laid them on the ground, with plenty of sun.

None of the seeds sprouted.

I am 100% sure all my seeds are bad, I bought those too old from a gardening store without prior knowledge to it.

Nevertheless, thanks for help, everyone. Have a nice day.

Ask a Question