New gardener...need serious help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
20160801_195435.jpg
I wanted to try container gardening and only wanted perennials. I am very new to this and trying very hard, but these three plants are not doing well at all. I have tried full sun, partial sun, more water, less water...etc. Nothing seems to help. All three plants did very well for about six weeks, but now they are limp and the hibiscus buds are dying on the vine before they mature enough to open. Even the moss roses are looking poor. I am not sure what the plant with the pink/green variegated leaves is because my puppy ate the marker. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle, N.Texas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where do you live?

Anyway...these are all perennials. Each one of these plants needs its own container; about five gallons of soil and room each. Those poor things are completely overcrowded in your little single pot.

All due respect but I would disregard what the last poster suggested. Glycophosphate is an herbicide (Roundup) and kills anything it comes in contact with. :oops::eek: :rolleyes: Google it.

The variegated plant may be some type of poppy. Hard to tell from that one photo.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Beth is right--move each to its own pot (the moss rose may or may not be perennial in N. Texas, but it will reseed itself for next season.). Make sure your new containers have drainage and, until the plants get settled into their new homes, don't fertilize! After about two weeks a mild fertilizer could be of use, but use your judgement on that.
The variegated leaf plant looks familiar, but if you could repost a photo when it perks up, we may be able to ID it for you.
Just an aside--I had 60 rose cuttings, rooted and growing in one gallon pots, all nicely labeled, until our cat decided those labels were play toys! I had to wait until the roses bloomed to replace the labels. Don't blame your puppy--he was just being playful! (A photo of the pup would be fine, too!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes we like pet photos here. :)

If you have some markers that your puppy didnt eat, they should give you how far apart (and how tall, and other info) each plant should be planted from each other. That will give you an idea how much room it needs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is my little darling, Huckleberry. If you'll notice in the background, his sister is chomping on what's left of one of my plants that she destroyed. By the way...any idea how to keep dogs out of your flowers? I've tried chili powder (they loved it), bitter yuck spray (they begged for more), orange peels (turns out some dogs do love citrus), and various other natural deterrents...all in vain!
20160728_184156.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I forgot that I had taken a photo several weeks ago of the flowers I posted yesterday. This is what the plants looked like when they were healthy. Thanks Beth_B and marlingardener for your help. I will re-pot them separately as soon as possible. Any idea what the pink/green plant on the left is?
20160703_120245.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh my stars, that Huckleberry is going t be a big boy, judging by the size of his paws! Absolutely adorable.
Keeping dogs out of plants--try garlic spray (two cloves of garlic minced into a pint of water, let it set for a day, and then spray in on your plants. If that doesn't work, up the amount of garlic.)
As a last resort, try cages of chicken wire around your plants. it isn't particularly attractive, but it does deter "chomping"!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh they are adorable. :love: Hound or hound mixes?

Ok so as someone who had Rottweilers for 30 years and currently has a 170lb English mastiff puppy (yes he is still growing :eek:) may I suggest alum. Cheap, find it in the spice aisle of any supermarket (it's a pickling spice) and so incredibly bitter it will instantly pucker up puppy mouths. But utterly non-toxic. Just really unpleasant. You can google it. Can be sprinkled or made into a paste. My electrical outlets and other things were painted with alum paste for about six months. :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I forgot that I had taken a photo several weeks ago of the flowers I posted yesterday. This is what the plants looked like when they were healthy. Thanks Beth_B and marlingardener for your help. I will re-pot them separately as soon as possible. Any idea what the pink/green plant on the left is?View attachment 14489

Beautiful! Hibiscus maybe?

Oops sorry, just saw you already know what that flower is. o_O The pink and green thing I have no clue. Some sort of coleus perhaps? Up here that would be a house plant only lol. Down south, quite probably a perennial. I'm not that good with year-round warm-weather gardening! It freezes for months up here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't even imagine a 170lb mastiff, I thought my great dane was huge at 130lbs! My little guys are 1/2 great dane and 1/2 blue heeler. Huckleberry should only get to around 90lbs. They are only 12 weeks old, so I'm sure I'll be posting more pics of "puppy damage" in the coming months. Both garlic spray and alum sound like great options...I am desperate so I will probably try them both!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah my "puppy" outweighs me by a good 40 lbs now at 13 months...his sire was a bit over 240 lbs. Yikes. And I have another dog who is a heeler cross, and a black Lab. So small, medium and humungous. :D

The good thing is, they usually start outgrowing the ridiculous bitey-ness at about a year old. Right about when you totally hate your puppies, they get their final brain shipment and start behaving.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Unclebuck said:
Definitely treat that thing with some glyphosate ASAP. Preferably max strength 41% then she'll perk right up and look beautiful
All due respect but I would disregard what the last poster suggested. Glycophosphate is an herbicide (Roundup) and kills anything it comes in contact with. :oops::eek: :rolleyes: Google it.
That explains why he jumped back in and deleted it before he missed his "edit" window!! I wondered how Michelle Harlow quoted a post that wasn't there!... :confused:

(n) Uncool, Unclebuck, you're a :poop:.

Michelle Harlow, Welcome to the forum!! :) Your puppies are too cute!! I also think your pink/green plant might be some kind of coleus, but am not sure. You could post it in the "Plant Identification" forum. Or try going back to the store where you bought it, and if they have any left just read the tag.(y)

Edited to add: What is the name of Huckleberry's sister?

Ask a Question