Hello fellow gardeners! Happy to join the forum. Need help with two things...

G.Thumb

Hope to be half as good as my dad with the Garden
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello,

Happy to join the Forum. I hope to learn and share a lot of what has been my passion in gardening.

For all the pros out there I do have two related questions:

Can anyone identify these two shrubs? A quick google image search leads me to believe they are of the "Indian Hawthorne" or Rhaphiolepis indica variety. Am I correct?

20170405_190947.jpg
20170405_191001.jpg

And my second question:

What is happening to the shrub on the left? It seems to be dying. The foliage isnt as lush and the leaves seem to be fading to a lighter green. As far as I know they both receive the same amount of water/sun etc. Here's a close up.

Any suggestions on how to bring the shrub on the left back to life like its twin to the right would be greatly appreciated!
Looking forward to any suggestions/answers.

Thank you!

20170405_190953.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Verticillium Wilt
Verticillium wilt, caused by a fungus of the same name, affects an Indian hawthorn's vascular system, causing foliage discoloration, wilt and dieback that often begins in scattered portions of the plant or on one side. When bark is peeled back, infected wood has dark staining. Providing the Indian hawthorn with the best care, including proper irrigation and fertilizer, can encourage healthy new growth and bush survival.

Sponsored Links

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/diseases-indian-hawthorn-bushes-55841.html

G.Thumb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a large more open Indian hawthorn . Your leaves and blooms look the same

Yes. This was the closest thing I could find on Google. Are yours blooming now too?

G.Thumb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Verticillium Wilt
Verticillium wilt, caused by a fungus of the same name, affects an Indian hawthorn's vascular system, causing foliage discoloration, wilt and dieback that often begins in scattered portions of the plant or on one side. When bark is peeled back, infected wood has dark staining. Providing the Indian hawthorn with the best care, including proper irrigation and fertilizer, can encourage healthy new growth and bush survival.

Sponsored Links

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/diseases-indian-hawthorn-bushes-55841.html

Thank you LIcenter for the link and the information. Ill be sure to read up and see if I can get this baby to come back to life like its twin to its right. Appreciate the speedy response. Wish me luck! =)

Ask a Question