Help my Desert Rose

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello from Sunny Florida,

My desert rose needs any help you may be able to give. Im inexperienced and would love to see this bloom one day.

It is newly in my care and has gotten greener, yet droopier.

Gets a lot of sun, but also possibly too much rain.

Thanks 20150617_194434.jpg

Attachments

• 20150617_194415.jpg
    20150617_194415.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 20150617_194434.jpg
    20150617_194434.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I don't know the Desert Rose so just googled it. How fascinating! :) Well worth looking after.(y) Hope you get yours answers. I'd love to see it in flower. Good luck with it sbarryb21 ;).I'd love one but I don't think I have suitable weather. I'll ask Leah at my local nursery. I'm always asking Leah at my local nursery!!:geek:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The Desert-rose (Adenium sp.) in the OP, certainly does have an unusual form.
One intriguing possibility is that the weeping stems could be a genetic mutation, just like forms of weeping Willow (Salix), weeping Cherry (Prunus), etc. A genetically stable weeping form of Adenium might be a very valuable plant for breeding.

Another less exciting possibility is that the plant has become etiolated from being grown in low light. The OP mentions that the plant now "gets a lot of sun", but it was only recently acquired. Perhaps it had previously been grown in too much shade.

While it is possible that the plant could have a more serious ailment. It looks rather healthy in the photographs. Healthy but 'weeping'.

The genus Adenium, consists of six to twelve species of pachycaul shrubs, in the Dogbane Family (Apocynaceae), native to eastern Africa, southern Arabia, and Socotra. All species and many hybrids are in cultivation, though Adenium obesum (arguably including A. arabicum) is the most widely grown.

Ask a Question