Help if you can with our trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody; I hope everybody is well and healthy in these strange times. We live in NewValley, outside the town of Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides. My father's aunt planted 5 trees on 33 NewValley upon moving here from a district further away from the town of Stornoway. They were planted at the beginning of the nineteen thirties, and unfortunately a couple of them have started having branches break off, and are not achieving a proper bloom in summer time for the last two summers. Can anybody identify them ( my father and I are Panel Beaters and useless at gardening), as it is a cause of concern to my father, whom is the oldest indigenous person in our village, and the trees have meant very much to us, and to everybody whom sees them in summer. I'll try and add photos I took the other day. Our weather is generally hellish in the Western Isles, in case that has been a factor on the trees. The ground in our village is either rocky, or peaty and acidic. Ceud Mìle Taing; Le gach uile deagh dhùrachd) A hundred thousand thanks; with every sincere wish)
IMGP0363.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A big welcome to you from the far end of the country John :) Zigs and I have looked at your photo and cannot really identify the tree without it`s leaves on. We wondered if it may be Ash or maybe Rowan - we understand you have acid rocky soil, and Rowan is common there.
I found an article that discusses planting more trees in your neck of the woods which appears to be funded, and wonder if you would be able to obtain a grant to plant more trees on your land?

We are all locked down at the moment - as we have been all year.... still alive though, and determined to remain sensible until the dreaded plague is ended. We wish you all well and warm this winter. Beannachd leat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for your reply, it's greatly appreciated. We can't plant any more than we have at that address, as we need the land for grazing. We have some of these prickly fir/pine things at the other address, but they are bad for going over in the gales. Something tells me there are the wee helicopter type seeds on these trees in summertime, if that's any help. Mòran Taing....Johnbeag:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ash trees, field maples and sycamore all have helicopter type seeds. Evidently you have to be careful to keep horses away from sycamore as they could be poisoned if they eat any part - which could be lethal.
If I were to have a bet on it I would plump for Ash.
1605729537982.png
check out the buds :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ash trees, field maples and sycamore all have helicopter type seeds. Evidently you have to be careful to keep horses away from sycamore as they could be poisoned if they eat any part - which could be lethal.
If I were to have a bet on it I would plump for Ash. View attachment 73412 check out the buds :)
Hi there; thank you very much for your reply. We don't graze horses, it's sheep we have. I'll check out the buds and trya and take a better photo. Many, many thanks John.

Ask a Question