Hello from Sydney, Australia - Complete Novice/Beginner

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

My name is David, I'm 30yo from Sydney Australia. In the past, gardening was something which interested me at all and admitted, I admittedly I was never able to appreciate why people have such a keen interest in gardening. Spring has just started here, we are getting a lot of warm weather, mid 20s Celsius at the moment, and the mornings are not as cold anymore. Although it is meant to be raining most of next week.

Since June this year, Sydney has been in a total and strict lockdown - the city has been shut down completely and we've been stuck at home almost 24/7. My mum lives by herself, so I decided to move back home with her over lockdown to keep her company (I also didn't want to be stuck in total lockdown with my flatmate the entire haha!). She lives in a house in the suburbs with a big backyard. She lives alone and has health problems, so she hasn't really grown anything in the backyard, so it's pretty much completely bare apart from a few native trees and bushes which seems to look after themselves. The soil in the ground is mostly clay-like.

I decided to give gardening a go as a well to keep myself occupied since we're in lockdown and add some things to the bare garden. To my surprise, I have been really enjoying it and dedicating a lot of time learning and being out in the garden. My initial perception and thoughts about gardening have completely changed! I have been mostly using pots and grow bags, as I'm still not confident/skilled enough to plant directly into the ground.

Prior to this, I have zero experience with gardening and plants. Every indoor pot plant, even succulents seemed to die on me. It has been quite expensive to initially buy what I needed to started, such as buying bags of potting mix, pots, grow bags, plants from the garden/hardware store. But recently, I've discovered there's a huge community of eager gardeners out there, and through my research, I'm learning about grafting, rooting, propagating, seeding/germinating techniques to make gardening more affordable. I also discovered there are a lot of people out there selling seedlings and cuttings for a fraction of the price compared to the garden stores.

I'm hoping I can learn from everyone here and gain more confidence with gardening. I've realised there is so much to learn. I'm only still getting my head around what composting, mulching, draining, the different types of fertilisers to use!

I am looking forward to interacting with you all.

David

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, welcome to the Forum....and of course, we did already talk about dragonfruit on another thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello, also new and have killed a few succulents! I don't have a yard of my own, but I am trying to build up a houseplant jungle in my apartment.

Ask a Question