Hello

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am an expert at growing bushes. I plant tomatoes, spinach, etc. in pots on my deck. I planted these back in early May. We have a lot of afternoon showers, so they grow like crazy but there are no flowers or buds or anything. I add some fertilizer and I use coffee grounds ever so often. After almost three months I should have at least small tomatoes. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tomatoes need lots of water and lots of sunshine, maybe it's too shady and cool on your deck?
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome tydyed!
Too much nitrogen is the stock answer to the problem of lots of green growth but no fruit.
What fertiliser are you using?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use the potting material that you get at walmart and add cow manure. Along the way, I add coffee grounds. Every year, I reuse the same soil. I will admit, the first year, I got lots of vegetables, but less the year after. I'm a retiree and just started doing this about 5 years ago. Any help you and the others give me will be welcomed. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use Tomorite
1627761039549.png
to feed tomatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you feed with liquid fertilizer tomato fertilizers are usually a pretty good all round fertilizer. I used to supply plants to friends in London who were also gardeners but didn't have space to grow stuff and used Tomorite on just about anything in a pot, but like Logan said, only after the first fruits have set with tomatoes. Are you taking out the side shoots? Unless they are a bush tomato they will put all their energy into them otherwise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cow manure isn't the highest in nitrogen, but it is readily available to the plants.
I'm not familiar with walmart products, but would imagine that, if it's multipurpose, it'll have some available nitrogen too.
No fertiliser at all, not even proprietory tomato feed, which contains enough nitrogen to keep plants going.
When you have watered a few times, THEN use tomato feed, especially a seaweed type.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, i guess that's been my problem on tomatoes all along. Actually, I just enjoy the process of growing things. I usually just buy them at the store. Never been a big vegetable eater. Thanks for all y'alls' replies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, i guess that's been my problem on tomatoes all along. Actually, I just enjoy the process of growing things. I usually just buy them at the store. Never been a big vegetable eater. Thanks for all y'alls' replies.
Totally agree with that @tydyed - grow pretty stuff like shrubs and flowers - less problems :happy: .....but my mum said you have to eat your greens, they're good for you :sick:

Ask a Question