Hello From El Paso...Sage is my plant...

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everybody! I'm a guy in The Great Desert Southwest! I'm not a Gardener or Botanist but I like the Sage plant. The purple ones do good around here....I have (6) purple, (2) red and (1) blue. The red and blue are new to my garden. Anyway, One of my purple ones that I'm guessing is about 10 years old is about 10 feet tall, maybe 12'. It's scraggly but it's happy so I ain't touching it! I'll get some pictures.......Glad To Meet You!
Picture Added: 100 degrees right now, not a lot of blooming going on and this pic is actually (2) different plants growing on top of each other, but yeah, about 11 and a half feet tall!

Man, when this thing blooms, the early morning Buzzing from all the Bees is Super Cool!

IMG_1110.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well. welcome to the forums @Loose Screw . Good name that - I should have thought of it first for me ;) I also especially like sage, but have no idea which one of these plants grows as tall as 11-12 feet ? It would be good to see a close up of the flowers please.
The Latin name for the common sage (the one used for cooking with) is Salvia Officinalis. There are loads of varieties. It's great to grow stuff for the bees and other creatures, and we need them to help us in the garden. Too many people use poison and kill off everything that dares to move in the garden!
Do you have many Cactus plants growing there?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome. Here on the other side of Texas you don't see much sage as it is generally too wet...but after this year that may change.

Sage in Thanksgiving dressing is a great taste to remember.

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well. welcome to the forums @Loose Screw . Good name that - I should have thought of it first for me ;) I also especially like sage, but have no idea which one of these plants grows as tall as 11-12 feet ? It would be good to see a close up of the flowers please.
The Latin name for the common sage (the one used for cooking with) is Salvia Officinalis. There are loads of varieties. It's great to grow stuff for the bees and other creatures, and we need them to help us in the garden. Too many people use poison and kill off everything that dares to move in the garden!
Do you have many Cactus plants growing there?
The really big one doesn't have many blooms right now. I've seen the Sage Charts before. The blooms don't have a tongue looking thing, look more like a trumpet. Also here's a picture of ground level also. I don't think they are all the same plant, bloom at slightly different times and slight color difference. But heck I don't know I just know it's tall for a Sage, hope nothing happens to it!

And yeah there are cactus. They're cool when they bloom, all plants are cool when they bloom...but I'm not really into cactus...Cool dog btw!

Tall Sage Flower 1.JPG
Tall Sage Flower 2.JPG
IMG_1115 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Friend Thanks for the photos. I love Texas Sage too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SO that's what it is - not actually sage at all, its botanical name is Leucophyllum frutescens. It is, apparently, the States Native Shrub.
Very useful and beautiful in hot dry places. If you prune it back a couple of feet in March, it will thicken up and produce even more blooms next year.

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
SO that's what it is - not actually sage at all, its botanical name is Leucophyllum frutescens. It is, apparently, the States Native Shrub.
Very useful and beautiful in hot dry places. If you prune it back a couple of feet in March, it will thicken up and produce even more blooms next year.

Yep, that's my plant...read a little on it so far. Internet says it can get up to 12 feet, probably could find where the internet says even taller, you can find Anything on the internet. Yeah, but I ain't cutting this back...I'm Now going for TWENTY FEET!
My new blue sage kind of looks like my other Leucophyllum frutescens, the blooms and the leaves, my new red ones don't look like the Leucophyllum frutescens.
Also, from now on, in basic referencing on this forum I'm going to refer to my Leucophyllum frutescens as Texas Sage and I might screw up and call them Purple sage...I do get mixed up at times and even call Miracle Whip- Mayonnaise, a Throttle Body- a Carburetor and a Magazine- a Clip...
But anyway let me get out of this Introduction sub forum and into the other forums now that I've Indroed myself.....

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Welcome from South Australia where I grow a lot of sage as well. The salvias are a big family so I'm buying new ones when I find them. There is a white flowering sage that a friend has in his garden next to the purple one and they contrast well.

Ask a Question