Hello! Nice to meet you all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hello, my name is Saleen Sundria (that's an alias DW about it) if you'd like you can call me Saleen, Sal, Sally, Sun, Sunny, etc. Whatever you're comfortable with! I use she/they pronouns but don't sweat it tbh.

I live in plant hardiness zone 5a. I have a cute little (somewhat) raised bed that I currently have planted way too much. Like, seriously overstocked, haha. Unfortunately I wasn't the one in charge of getting the plants.

Fortunately though the plants haven't seemed to care and are all seemingly thriving, it looks like a jungle sometimes lol. Here are some pictures from a little while ago

IMG_20230628_160638.jpg

IMG_20230628_160646.jpg

In the back left I have one beefsteak tomato plant, in front of that is a sweet pepper plant, to the right are 3 broccoli plants, behind the first broccoli plant to the right of the beefsteak tomato is a cherry tomato plant, one more broccoli plant is to the right of the cherry tomato, and the last three are cucumber plants. Oh, and in the cinder blocks around the perimeter are marigolds because I like them and they help keep the rabbit family that lives under my shed from eating my garden. I plan on expanding next year so hopefully it will look a lot different! (Also don't mind the mess, was taking down a pond and doing other yard work.)

I came here because I no longer want to use reddit due to it's API no longer being free to use and thus breaking moderation tools and other third party applications and bots. Previously, I would have shared all this stuff and asked all my questions on r/gardening. But now I'm here! And I'm excited to meet you all! Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

I'm into to high density planting. To me that not only looks beautufil but very good use of space.

Marigolds around the border, nice. Very useful for insect control. Your obviously not a novice.

Glad you decided to join. I'm pretty much new to the forum also. Great people and great info here.

MOD

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No need to apologize for that bed...it's beautiful. That broccoli reminds me it won't be long now here in zone 8b that I will be planting brassicas myself especially broccoli which I love fresh from the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldnt plant things that close (to allow airflow) but every thing you have in there is growing nice and green with no sign of disease that I can see. That one yellow cabbage leaf is probably struggling for light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love marigolds, have them around the flower bed, and a trough of them on the patio. I would be so tempted to have something growing up the fence, runner beans, climbing french beans, clematis, honeysuckle, something.
Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Bonjour! I especially like how you planted various marigolds in the cinder blocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Bonjour! I especially like how you planted various marigolds in the cinder blocks.
I very much love marigolds, you can see on the left side how they're growing so big because e they get the most sun, lol, I know for next year to leave a little space so the leaves don't cover the marigolds again haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Love marigolds, have them around the flower bed, and a trough of them on the patio. I would be so tempted to have something growing up the fence, runner beans, climbing french beans, clematis, honeysuckle, something.
Welcome to the forum.
That's actually one thing I've wanted to do haha, as you can probably see our fence is a little worse for wear, I want to replace it with a fence that has a trellis at the top so I can have some climbers, I think it would be really cute

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I live in the Midwest, the middle of the west lol. Illinois, specifically
Howdy neighbor, Zone 5b, wish our zone had a longer growing season. I see people here with veggies and fruit I dont get until August but hey got to work with what you got. Only good thing about out zone are the chill hours and corn grows great.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
We are heading out to a car show in Louiseville, KY next week. and in September to Kalamazoo, MI. car show.
That sounds really lovely! The best places imo for car shows is the west coast and right around here in the Midwest, lol. Lots of classics all over.

Howdy neighbor, Zone 5b, wish our zone had a longer growing season. I see people here with veggies and fruit I dont get until August but hey got to work with what you got. Only good thing about out zone are the chill hours and corn grows great.

MOD
Yeah, for the longest time I was super confused because I would go online and see all these people with huge, bountiful harvests and say that like, certain plants they had are like 5-10 years old and I was just completely dumbfounded until I realized that the plant hardiness zones were a thing lol. But there is corn. Loooooots of corn. And soybeans.

Also, here is an updated picture of my garden from this morning! A lot wilder, that overcrowding is a lot more evident now, haha... Good thing it's getting expanded next year. Also today's harvest! Can you tell I don't know what the heck I'm doing with the broccoli?

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_070630.jpg
    IMG_20230725_070630.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230725_070643.jpg
    IMG_20230725_070643.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230725_070500.jpg
    IMG_20230725_070500.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, for the longest time I was super confused because I would go online and see all these people with huge, bountiful harvests and say that like, certain plants they had are like 5-10 years old and I was just completely dumbfounded until I realized that the plant hardiness zones were a thing lol. But there is corn. Loooooots of corn. And soybeans.
Lol I went through the same thing and thought I was a horrible gardener.

MOD

Ask a Question