Trying this again - hello from SE PA

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my third season with a veg garden - I moved to the country from Philadelphia and am happy to have space to grow.

This year I’ve planted:

Heirloom tomatoes
Bell peppers
Kale
Lettuces
Bush beans
Soybeans
Leeks
Watermelons
Butternuts
Pumpkins
Zucchini
Radishes
Pickling gherkins
Basil
Dill
Lavendar
Mint
Lemonbalm
Rosemary
Oregano
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Garlic (over wintered from last year)
Scallions
Beets
carrots
Fennel
Snap peas

Obviously some crops are done (potatoes, lettuce, kale, beans) and some are just sown (fall root veg). Everything else is still trucking.

Anyone else having a weird year though? The unpredictable weather is making it tough!

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is my third season with a veg garden - I moved to the country from Philadelphia and am happy to have space to grow.

This year I’ve planted:

Heirloom tomatoes
Bell peppers
Kale
Lettuces
Bush beans
Soybeans
Leeks
Watermelons
Butternuts
Pumpkins
Zucchini
Radishes
Pickling gherkins
Basil
Dill
Lavendar
Mint
Lemonbalm
Rosemary
Oregano
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Garlic (over wintered from last year)
Scallions
Beets
carrots
Fennel
Snap peas

Obviously some crops are done (potatoes, lettuce, kale, beans) and some are just sown (fall root veg). Everything else is still trucking.

Anyone else having a weird year, though? The unpredictable weather is making it challenging!
Hello from Kentucky 6b.
It's been a crazy growing season here.
The only crops I've had luck with have been sweet corn and pole beans. I thought I was going to have a decent tomato harvest, but it's been not very pleasant.
I've yet to harvest the first bell pepper and have given up on them. The habaneros are the only ones doing alright.
I've picked bushels on top of bushels of pole beans, but from 5 one hundred foot rows of jade -contender bush beans, I've not even got a half bushel. I've seen crazy growing seasons before but never one like this year.
I'm in cover crop mode now and looking forward to next spring!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@emcas , if you would love to further explore beautiful Chester County, hook on to Chester County Days, first Saturday of every October. I have gone for 26 years. Its simply a beautiful day event. Google for the information. Or you can ask me further.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am also from Chester County, PA. welcome.

@emcas , if you would love to further explore beautiful Chester County, hook on to Chester County Days, first Saturday of every October. I have gone for 26 years. Its simply a beautiful day event. Google for the information. Or you can ask me further.
Thank you! I googled it and I'm seeing results for Chester County Home Days where there are tours of historic homes - are you referring to another event? It sounds wonderful! I'd love to hear more about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thank you! I googled it and I'm seeing results for Chester County Home Days where there are tours of historic homes - are you referring to another event? It sounds wonderful! I'd love to hear more about it.
Yes, it is tours of historic homes in Chester County, PA. As I have done this for 26 years, have learned some skills to make this event as successful as can be. It is a one day event. Right NOW, the tickets are on sale. the site will tell you were to buy them. When you buy them, it comes with a awesome map, each year they do a different region. and of couse your ticket to wear on your jacket day of. They will also have a "special" newpaper you need to get, should be in a stack at the same place you buy the tickets. (can get by mail also) but as it's end of August-- I would go in person and get ASAP. NOW---in the newspaper you will see a list of PRE-Screenings held at different places----that is very important to attend one of them, bring a pad and pen. They will go through slide shows of what houses are open, so you need to select which interests you using the number assigned to each house. Some "types" of house are similiar, so I like to gather a variety, and the ones with gardens of course. You will also hear about the FOX Hunt---more of that later. In my 26 years, I could only tour 10-12 homes in that day, with a lunch break.

When you get home, get the map, and start circling on the map the ones you want to see. Now----back to the Fox Hunt, As your new you probably will want to go see it, it is awesome. However, being to a few, the other years, I have found out ---that going to homes I want to see ---further from the hunt gives me a shorter line to stand in to wait and then working my way back to the Fox Hunt area. In your circling of homes, if there is a close gathering of some then you can add a few more, but the distance between is the consideration. The signs /directions are well marked. and for the last 3 years they have actually put exact address on the map so GSP works awesome.

Wear comfortable shoes, and layers incase it gets warmer/colder. They say---"It never rains on Chester County Day" and for my 26 years it did not. You will be part of an awesome tradition---what is it now 80 years od house tour event, something like it.
I love seeing the professional designers, how they lay out the house, and the generations of loved saved furniture, etc. And some of the kitchens---wow. And the rolling hills of Chester County, just beautiful.
Have fun. I am still debating on going, my friend that I went with those years, she passed away 2 years ago. just don't have it in me to do it again, yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello from Kentucky 6b.
It's been a crazy growing season here.
The only crops I've had luck with have been sweet corn and pole beans. I thought I was going to have a decent tomato harvest, but it's been not very pleasant.
I've yet to harvest the first bell pepper and have given up on them. The habaneros are the only ones doing alright.
I've picked bushels on top of bushels of pole beans, but from 5 one hundred foot rows of jade -contender bush beans, I've not even got a half bushel. I've seen crazy growing seasons before but never one like this year.
I'm in cover crop mode now and looking forward to next spring!!
Hello! I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with oddness too ... glad to hear I'm not alone! The things I thought I knew proved me wrong all year ... =) Here is hoping next season is better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I really appreciate all the detailed information & advice @Esther Knapicius - I'm sorry to hear about your friend, though. It sounds like an event worth planning for.
The older you get, more "best" friends leave. Sad but true. Both my matron of honors are gone. And a few more of years of friendship.

Ask a Question