Hello from Gloucester

J

jjenning04

Hello everyone,
I got given some free seeds today for chillies and peppers. I am totally new to gardening. I went to the garden centre to ask for advice and told them I'm interested in growing peppers and tomatoes. They kindly gave me free seeds :)
Looking for some tips on what to do. Any help appreciated.
JJ x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello JJ and a big welcome to the forums. Lucky you - nobody gives me free seeds, well not in garden centres anyway. I do swop them sometimes though. It is always a good idea to save seeds from tomatoes and peppers, and save them in a paper bag until it's time to sow them. We dry tomato seeds on tissue before putting them away for the winter.
Now is not the time to sow them. Now is the time for preparing your garden, and get the plot all ready for the spring. Always read the instructions on the packet on bought (or donated seeds)
I'm sure you'll get loads of ideas on here from the others. :)

J

jjenning04

Are there any autumn plants or flowers that you would recommend that are easy to grow in the autumn?

JJ x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, a bit late in the day for planting, I am harvesting tomatoes and my peppers are almost ready. It may be they gave you the seeds because their expiry date is this year, don't worry, keep them somewhere cool and dry and they will be fine next spring, a few may not germinate, but there are usually too many.
About the only thing I can think of you could still plant his year are spring onions, and maybe radish.

Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum! Just curious what kind of pepper and tomato seeds did you get? That was way nice of them to do that :)

You could probably get away with planting quick stuff right now like leafy lettuce. I just planted some spring onions like Oliver Buckle mentioned. Usually around this time the plants in the garden centers will be reduced in price so you could pick up some perennial flowers and herbs you could plant now that will come back each year. But if you don't have a garden ready I would do what Tetters mentioned and focus on the garden for the spring, and if you have room start some compost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other thing is 'Where are you?', you don't have a location posted and this is an international forum. You mention 'Autumn', so I guess Northern hemisphere, but how far South could make a big difference.

Ask a Question