Hello everyone

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just a quick hello before I start reading and posting. I am in Ontario Canada and love gardening. I still have lots to learn so that is why I joined the forum.. that and to chat with fellow gardeners. I am looking forward to trying this forum out and jumping in :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you all for the welcomes!

Wotcha @pepper, and welcome to the forums. Have you jumped in yet? Maybe you could post a photo of your garden?
I will try and post some photos once the garden get going. Right now it's just a muddy mess from spring rain, it will be 2 or three weeks before I am able to till the soil and get everything planted after last frost. Right now all my seedlings are under grow lights but I put my tomato plants out during the day.

Bonjour, @pepper! Do you plant vegetables? Do you plant flowers? :geek:
I mostly plant veggies, herbs and some apple and nut trees but I do try to grow flowers also. Not going to lie, I am not great at a lot of flowers but I am always learning. I really like flowers that grow on vines, like moon flowers. Very pretty. I absolutely love moss and ferns.. I don't have a mossy fern garden yet but it is on my bucket list :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moss and ferns sound just right for your ''muddy mess'' they would help to make it look all gorgeous again I think;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Moss and ferns sound just right for your ''muddy mess'' they would help to make it look all gorgeous again I think;)
Lol where I am (Ontario Canada) it rains most of April and half of May. It's kind of like the Canadian snow blizzards you hear about but much more wet lol. And at night temps drop below 0 often so if root rot doesn't kill the garden then frost will. But may 24 weekend is a long weekend that is dedicated to planting the garden, a long weekend that sometimes goes well with inviting friends over for a drink and expecting them to get their hands dirty helping out in the garden. They are not always enthusiastic about it but come harvest season when you share the goodies they perk up and look forward to it next year usually lol!

But yes they ferns and moss would dry out fast after may without lots of shade trees. That is the biggest challenge for a fern and moss garden here. I have the shade trees, just waiting for them to get big enough to give enough shade lol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the shade trees, just waiting for them to get big enough to give enough shade
Now I am wondering how long you have to wait. Birch, ash, sycamore, maple, beech, oak, it could be anything from ten years to a couple of hundred. :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Now I am wondering how long you have to wait. Birch, ash, sycamore, maple, beech, oak, it could be anything from ten years to a couple of hundred. :)
I have Apple's, plums, walnuts, chestnut and butternut, maple, ash. Most of them are big enough to give some shade and they fruit but not enough for all day shade. I might plant some staghorn sumac, it grows fast. How long I have to wait.. probably years lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, pepper! I'm a newbie to the forums (and to gardening in general). Hoping to learn as much as I possibly can here. I'm in Currituck Co, NC - about an hour's drive from the OBX.

Ask a Question