Hello from Currituck County, NC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! My name is Cindi and I live in Currituck County, NC. I am just starting to develop an interest in gardening - thanks to my cousin (also my roommate) who loves to plant all sorts of things.

My first gardening adventure is going to be a pack of "Ferry~Morse" brand lemon cucumbers. I tried them once about 15 years ago but couldn't find them any more until this year. Because of the length of time in-between my last planting until now I have totally forgotten all the little tips and tricks I had before. If anyone has any suggestions, I would truly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance,

Cindi

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome Cindi. Give them some room i.e., two or three feet between plants. If space limited or just prefer the looks, grow them on a trellis. They will grow 6 to 8 ft high, but you can prune the tips after they get up about three feet to encourage more bushy growth. They are attractive and tasty! Good choice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Cindi. Give them some room i.e., two or three feet between plants. If space limited or just prefer the looks, grow them on a trellis. They will grow 6 to 8 ft high, but you can prune the tips after they get up about three feet to encourage more bushy growth. They are attractive and tasty! Good choice.

Thanks for the swift reply, Meadowlark. And for the tips. I will remember that when I start, hoping it will be one day this coming week, depending on the weather.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: Lemon cucumber seedlings 1 week after starting them:

Are the leaves on these now considered the "true leaves" or the cotyledons (I think that's what they're called)?

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_105337719.jpg
    IMG_20230518_105337719.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are the cotyledons. The first true leaf is the pointed thing in the middle of those fixing to come out.

Ask a Question