Hello from Newcastle!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! :)

I'm excited to be joining this gardening forum and connecting with fellow green thumbs. I'm originally from the countryside but recently moved to Newcastle, where I'm now trying my hand at a balcony garden. It's been a bit of a change from my previous spacious garden, but I'm enjoying the challenge of making the most of my limited space.

I've been gardening for years, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I love experimenting with new plants and techniques, and I'm always learning. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and picking up some tips from all of you.

Thanks for having me!

Dora

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's good to welcome you to the forum Dora @GardenGalaxy (y) How on earth are you going to manage without your big garden? I would be lost without mine. It will be a bonus though for others here who will no doubt benefit from your experience :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's good to welcome you to the forum Dora @GardenGalaxy (y) How on earth are you going to manage without your big garden? I would be lost without mine. It will be a bonus though for others here who will no doubt benefit from your experience :)
I know - my heart breaks a little every day when I think back to my old garden! But I'm try my best to get used to the current situation - improvise, adapt, overcome!

Some of the plants I grow include herbs like basil, thyme, and mint, as well as flowers like petunias and marigolds. I also have a tomato plant and a pepper plant that are doing well.

One of the challenges I faced was figuring out the best way to use the limited space on my balcony. I decided to invest in vertical planters and hanging baskets, which have allowed me to grow more plants without taking up too much floor space. I've also experimented with different types of soil and fertilizers to ensure that my plants are getting the nutrients they need.

Thank you for the warm welcome from everyone! I look forward to engaging in discussions and hearing all your experiences! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pity you live so far away from here, I could do with a bit more help with my lot - it IS big! Still, never mind.
I think that as things are in the world at the present time I would grow strawberries in one hanging basket, and cherry tomatoes in another. Check on the safe weight situation first of course, as you will be adding a lot of weight with compost/soil and watering. Salad crops should be possible there, which would be so useful as prices are going off the scale, and ''they'' are trying to get rid of farms and farmers :rolleyes:

Ask a Question