Hello from SE Pennsylvania

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks! I’m somewhat new to vegetable gardening as this is my third season. I’ve always been a houseplant hoarder so when I moved to the country I built a garden. This year I’m growing (or trying to grow) heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, lavender, rosemary, oregano, mint, lemon balm, sugar pumpkins, sugar watermelons, moon and star watermelons, butternut squash, fairytale pumpkins, kale, tons of lettuces, tomatillos, zucchini, summer squash, pickling gherkins, amaranth and radishes. I just started beets, carrots, fennel and broccoli earlier this month.

Oh, and sweet potatoes and regular potatoes too.

For the most part, it’s all going well but my cucurbits are problematic …. Managed to handle the squash bugs but the powdery mildew snuck up on me and some vine borers killed half my pumpkins.

I’m surrounded by the Amish, who are obviously brilliant farmers so I always feel like there are secrets I don’t know. Their produce stands are incredible and I can’t even get my pumpkins to grow. 😊

Anyway, I’m excited to learn and share. Anyone else in zone 7?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome friend. Wow sounds like you have a super garden. I would think anything you can learn from the Amish is tried and true. You are welcome to post photos of your plants or garden to give us some of the excitement you are feeling. I know it's that time of the year. Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
so weird, i thought this post disappeared so i reposted it. i apparently am bad at gardening forums...here is a photo of my main garden area. I have flowers all over, though, and a few more raised beds in the back of my property. I built them my first spring here and didn’t realize the trees in my neighbors yard would shade things for half the day so I tend to only grow cool weather shade crops back there.

Attachments

• 1A16374A-CBD6-4F82-800F-7FCBAA324015.jpeg
    1A16374A-CBD6-4F82-800F-7FCBAA324015.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
This area was originally just weeds and arborvitae trees that were unruly. Being that it's next to my house (the building in the photo is my garage / studio) and main pollinator garden, it took me the early part of spring to finish cleaning things out, adding more beds, laying weed barrier and installing the stone and fence. I have more to do but it works for now. In the left corner background you can see my original beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In case your interested I have FREE---Hardy Geraniums. And next month I will be splitting out baby Annabelle hydrangeas from the big mother's potting them up. Need some money for the Annabelles just to cover soil costs.

Ask a Question