Hello from Northeastern Pennsylvania

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a strange occurrence with a few Clematis plants. We planted 3 plants last year in the spring and a rabbit got them because we were inexperienced. So we left the rooted remains thinking they were done. This year we noticed that the stems had gotten thick and they sprouted. We thought, WOW, they came back and began caring for them. But now that they have grown, they have a fern like appearance - not a vine at all. They are definitely growing from the original stems. We haven't planted anything else in this area and it looks nothing like anything in our yard. I just can't figure it out and I don't want to continue caring for them if their weeds. We due have other Clematis so I do know what they should look like. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Ahh, the clematis, did you know there are over a hundred types. Some flower on old vines, some new. some you do not trim, some you trim some, some none. Some bloom in spring, some in summer and some in fall. Thus, how to answer, I cannot. Your just going to have to wait, protect it, and be surprised.
Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Welcome Malcolm. Good luck with your "MaybeClematis". Esther knows her stuff and so there's no single rule to apply.
Speaking of clematis and thank you Malcolm for bringing up the subject:), I have one which I planted about 4 years ago and whilst it grows it has never flowered. Should I move it and if so what time of the year is best to do so?

Ask a Question