Hello from arizona!

Reaction score
I currently live in southern Arizona, and my gardening experience here has not been pretty.

A few years ago, I lived in the northernmost part of Arizona (5,000 ft) and was successful in growing many herbs, as well as cherry tomatoes, potatoes, and garlic (okay, garlic is technically an herb). I moved before I was able to be successful with melons (the season was too short, but I kept getting closer each season).

I began a gardening and landscaping class in January, but was discouraged by how often they pointed out that most food plants could not grow here (chance of frost as late as mid-May because of cold nights, and less than two weeks later the highs being in the triple digits so many plants would not/could not pollinate - tomatoes, for example). And that has not been my only challenge.

My gardening interests can be summed up in these types of gardens:
Fruit and vegetable gardens
Kitchen herb gardens
Medicinal herb gardens
Cat's delight garden (catnip and catmint)
Night-blooming garden
Water garden
Edible flowers garden
Unusual fruits and veggies

I would also like fruit and nut trees, and assorted bushes and vine that bear fruit.

My experience does not match my desires, but I keep planning and hoping. In my current place, the plants usually die. I can talk about that in other forums, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! How are you growing things at the moment - indoors or outdoors? I guess if you are determined to grow things which are not suited to your environment then you need to think about creating the right environment - perhaps using an outdoor structure that protects from frost at night but keeps the heat off during the day.

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome.

I'm growing outdoors. I have a pomegranate and some spearmint in pots on my (north) porch. Everything else is in the ground.

My interest is in growing things I can eat and, sadly, most things people eat fall under the category of "unsuited" though I know there are people in this valley who do grow those plants, so it has to be possible. Perhaps I ought to seek out those people who have been able to overcome the climate and other negative factors in this area.

As far as the ideal list I wrote, I am not unrealistic enough to suppose I can grow those types of gardens here. I am saving them for when I move to my next place.

Ask a Question