Hello from Arizona!

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi everyone! We have been here in Arizona now for 5 years and I am still amazed at how fast plants grow here! Coming from the north where it takes years for a bush to grow big it's fun to finally have flowering plants all year round. I hope you all can help me with a citrus tree that is in my yard. Bought it as a "navel orange" but it's obviously not! Below is the fruit. It's the large yellow one. I included the medium orange and lemon for comparison. The leaves are large,green and glossy. Lots of large thorns. The fruit pulp is sour/tart. As you can see the skin is thick and dimply. Hope you all can help me! Thanks
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! I've spent quite a bit of time in arizona as I have friends there...don't recognize that fruit but I wonder if you could call local independent (not big box) nurseries and ask.
I wonder if it could be a citrus plant hybrid. What does it taste like?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! Well it tastes like a lemon. Someone mentioned it might be a cuban shaddock. .... Trying to decide what to do with the fruit now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks to be a hybrid lemon, When I lived in Calif. we had large lemons growing in the yard the tree had long large thorns that would reach and grab you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you! Well it tastes like a lemon. Someone mentioned it might be a cuban shaddock. .... Trying to decide what to do with the fruit now!

My Arizona friends had a couple of grapefruit trees out back by the pool...we'd make fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and add lots of vodka. :D
You could do the same with your lemony fruit (with or without vodka...straight up fresh lemon juice is awesome.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Welcome! I guess in my head I had the perception that Arizona was vastly desert type landscape (for some reason I just thought cacti and lots of it!) but you've changed my views! Great to have you here and I look forward to hearing more about what you're growing in your garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to have you here (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Welcome @Rudy .. Where in Arizona do you live? One of my favorite states. We have been there twice. Of course everyone goes to Sedona, and then the grand canyon, Jerome, Flagstaff. Using an off the road jeep we were able to ride well on curvy roads and place no man would venture, but this women did. My favorite part was also way down south in Ramsey Canyon to see the migration of hummingbirds in early September. and visited the well known town around there. Loved milling around off road from south to north taking the roads through beautiful mountains and seeing the small towns suddenly appear from a far. It is a wonderful diverse state. Would not want to live in the middle area, the hottest. But so pleased that north and south do not follow the same temp. No its not all dessert, in fact lots of conifers grow in Arizona. And it does snow in December in Sedona.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all for your replies! Found out it really is a Cuban Shaddock root stock. A navel orange tree was grafted onto it but obviously didn't take.....sigh! I now have huge lemon tasting fruit. Well I'll be making lemonade now! Lol
Merry Christmas everyone!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Rudy .. Where in Arizona do you live? One of my favorite states. We have been there twice. Of course everyone goes to Sedona, and then the grand canyon, Jerome, Flagstaff. Using an off the road jeep we were able to ride well on curvy roads and place no man would venture, but this women did. My favorite part was also way down south in Ramsey Canyon to see the migration of hummingbirds in early September. and visited the well known town around there. Loved milling around off road from south to north taking the roads through beautiful mountains and seeing the small towns suddenly appear from a far. It is a wonderful diverse state. Would not want to live in the middle area, the hottest. But so pleased that north and south do not follow the same temp. No its not all dessert, in fact lots of conifers grow in Arizona. And it does snow in December in Sedona.

What a great trip! We live near Phoenix so it gets hot. Tired of the cold winters up north!

Reaction score
Hello there and welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay here and find this forum super useful :) So have fun and please take the time to explore the forum for a bit :) I'm sure you will like it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there and welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay here and find this forum super useful :) So have fun and please take the time to explore the forum for a bit :) I'm sure you will like it!

Thanks!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Looks ideal for making candied peel from (y)

Ask a Question