Has my asparagus died?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I planted asparagus crowns last winter. They did well during the summer and I cut them back in autumn. So far there's no sign of life - surely I should be seeing new growth by now?

We had a cold, wet winter - could that have killed them?

How long do I wait before concluding they're dead? (I'm in West central Scotland so cold compared to London but a fairly sheltered part of Scotland).

If they're dead I want to get going with my plan B which is to plant sunflowers in what was the asparagus bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would give them more time. My asparagus has survived 11F cold but they were fairly heavily mulched. You might dig down to a crown and check it out for rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Chuck's comment rang true for us.
I thought the same thing as Susan BBPM did. Are they dead? Nothing grew from ours until May 25th- quite a long time after the snow melted and the ground thawed. (Zone 6a Detroit, MI USA). Two of four have growth so far.

Hope This Is Encouraging!
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Chuck's comment rang true for us.
I thought the same thing as Susan BBPM did. Are they dead? Nothing grew from ours until May 25th- quite a long time after the snow melted and the ground thawed. (Zone 6a Detroit, MI USA). Two of four have growth so far.

Hope This Is Encouraging!
Paul
Yes, same here. Mine only started growing about 2 weeks ago. But all seem to be alive and well.

Ask a Question