Hügelkultur in containers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bunch of cheap buckets I am setting up for spring and it occurred to me one could plant something like tomatoes in them and rent them out for the summer. A tenner for one and they could be competitive with and tastier than supermarket ones, movable, and not require such exacting watering, come with a pound shop bottle of fertilizer and give them a couple of quid back when they return the bucket. Then plant something else in them, "Broccoli bucket sir"

Perhaps re think the financing, a standing order for a £4 a month all summer for example, but there could be a reasonable profit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well that is a unique ideal.

Recently I was asking a retailer when the seed packs will come out and they must have misunderstood what I was trying to ask so they asked the Bonnie plant represenative who happened to be standing there when the plants would be out. I corrected the situation and then he asked me why dont I just buy their plants instead. I laughed and just flat out told him "Shit, you can't spend $6 on a cucumber plant to get $6 worth of cucumbers off of it." He didn't have an answer and walked away. They are ridiculously high and I'm glad I had the chance to tell them that but people are still ignorant enough to keep buying those high dollar Bonnie plants. I guess the moral of the story is don't charge more than what they can save money off of the fruit of the plant like Bonnie does.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Half a dozen tomatoes here cost around £1.50p at the moment, I guess that will go down a bit in season, but not hugely, and home grown tomatoes are a completely different animal. My missus has some recipes she won't bother with if she can only get shop tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tomatoes here are $2.28 per lb. I guess each tomato is about10 oz a piece so about $1.43 each which supposedly converts to £1.17 each. Sounds like your tomatoes are cheaper than over here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tomatoes here are $2.28 per lb. I guess each tomato is about10 oz a piece so about $1.43 each which supposedly converts to £1.17 each. Sounds like your tomatoes are cheaper than over here.
Roma tomatoes here are $1.69 lb as of Wed. The other varieties range from $2.29 up to $3.99 lb. How about them bacon prices? Some brands are up almost 400%. Everytime I go to the grocery store I feel like I should stop at the bank first to take out a loan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How about them bacon prices? Some brands are up almost 400%.
Yea but that is only the half of it since it is mostly fat with a thin sliver of meat on each piece. I've had to dig through the packs to find a pack halfway worth buying and other times just left it sitting there.

Eggs are $4-5 a dozen when they used to be $1.50-$2.00. I hear it is 7% inflation on the news?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yea but that is only the half of it since it is mostly fat with a thin sliver of meat on each piece. I've had to dig through the packs to find a pack halfway worth buying and other times just left it sitting there.

Eggs are $4-5 a dozen when they used to be $1.50-$2.00. I hear it is 7% inflation on the news?
It is said that the ridiculous egg prices are caused by Bird Flu. That may be partially true but with the killing of millions of chickens how long can the flu last? I used to raise chickens and it doesn't take 2 years to replenish a flock of chickens. I quit watching the main stream broadcast news about a year ago. They report on less than half of what they should and what they do report on is twisted. My blood pressure is also lower now since I started watching alternative news channels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmm. I guess Bonnie plants will be even more expensive this year. 2 Buttercruch lettuce plants for $16.99. What is that, about $2 worth of lettuce? At least you get free shipping if you get two orders of it. Lol.
Why would anyone with even just a modicum of common sense even consider buying something like this. This is just another example of the dumbing down of America. I wonder if this lettuce tastes better than my lettuce grown from seed for pennies does? If lettuce is $8.50 per plant just imagine what tomato plants must cost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think they are actually cheaper at the retailer but still way over priced. Last year I think they were about $6 per plant whether they were tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, spinach, etc. They havent started putting them out yet but I'm expecting them to be more expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think they are actually cheaper at the retailer but still way over priced. Last year I think they were about $6 per plant whether they were tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, spinach, etc. They havent started putting them out yet but I'm expecting them to be more expensive.
How does that old saying go- A fool is soon parted from his money.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This time of year our tomatoes are probably air-freighted from Spain, that works out cheaper an less energy expenditure than having a heated greenhouse in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I believe the merchant has them for less, but they are still wildly overpriced. No matter if they were tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, spinach, etc., I believe they cost around $6 per plant the previous year. Although they haven't yet begun to distribute them, I anticipate that they will money more.

Ask a Question