Growing insects

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Here are taste comparisons for other insects.

ANTS
sweet, nutty

STINKBUGS apples

RED AGAVE ANTS spicy

TREE WORMS pork rinds

BEE EGGS peanuts or almonds

WASPS pine nuts

TERMITES nuts

SUN-DRIED EMPEROR MOTH CATERPILLARS tea

APHIDS slightly bitter to sweet, depending on their diet

Intriguing! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Intriguing! :)
Can you imagine Caramel Stinkbug On A Stick? Or how about "cream with your caterpillar tea anyone."?.
This takes gardening to a whole new level and I bet it makes the insecticide companies loose sleep at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Of course, I am glad that the birds have such a varied menu. But personally, I prefer the original products.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Eww.

NPR did a piece on eating bugs recently, was pretty interesting. I guess most are very high in protein and a sustainable cheap food source. They were talking about high-protein cricket/locust flour, for instance, that could be used by people in places where food is scarce, or even in animal feed, practical applications like that.

I personally share most people's natural revulsion to eating insects, maybe if I was starving. But all those bugs that taste like other things? I'd rather just eat the other things. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I'll go vegetarian before I start snacking on bugs!
But look at the money you will save on pork, beef and chicken. All that free protein you will lose from newly harvested tomato hornworms baked with your lasagna. Plus no more insecticides to waste money on. It's revolutionary. Imagine, sprinkled spicy ants on you quevos rancheros and just think, all you have to do instead of buying expensive peanuts to go with your beer, is to go outside and turn over an old board and presto, fresh termites. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The "free protein" are taken care of with the hens--they don't care what they snack on! We are surrounded by cattle ranches, so I think I'd better stick to beef rather than bees.;)

Ask a Question