Growing in buckets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a bunch of builder's buckets, they were very cheap, and drilled holes in the bottom. Last year I grew tomatoes and cucumbers in them successfully, and had something of a failure with broad beans. I think they are 14 litres, and that just was not enough for the beans. Cabbage didn't do that well either. I have carrots in three of them at the moment and am planning more, they look as though they are doing well. I like this method of growing, they are not so heavy I can't move them about fairly easily, and that has considerable advantages, for example the carrots have gone into the greenhouse during the cold weather, and I can stand them on a hop up and weed and thin sitting down comfortably, a real advantage at my age. In the coming year I am thinking I will try them for parsnip, swede and turnip as well. I also tried chard, with discouraging, but not useless results.
I am also experimenting with different fillings, the first ones had about four inches of wood in the bottom, I now have some with leaves, some with twigs and some with chain saw 'sawdust' in the bottom. The top is a nice fertile mix of compost, earth, sieved burnt clay and wood ash, usually with a bit of bone meal or blood fish and bone as well, I have varied the proportions a bit.
Do you have any suggestions for other crops they might suit, or ways I might adapt them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started doing much the same thing before my stroke and subsequent operation on carotid artery.
I bought some miniature runner beans which did very well - although I splashed out on very big round plant pots' Salad crops do ok too, with a few radish, spring onions and lettuce always handy for the kitchen. Herbs did best, cabbages needed rather more space, but are now usable - a surprise really, as although I netted them, the cabbage whites still got in and wreaked havoc. I left them though and now they've hearted up - so little cabbage is better than no cabbage I suppose.
Spuds were useless - they need to be in the ground. Parsnips just didn't happen. Tomatoes were ok, I kept them in pots in the potting shed - but buckets would have been better.
Let us know how you get on with yours please, it' good to compare notes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was the pigeons that decimated my cabbages, I'll probably try again. I was hopeful as I found being able to move them around and separate them confused the cabbage whites; someone here said they need to land on three cabbage leaves in succession before laying eggs and it seems to be valid.
Parsnips I have found give me 100% germination, or nothing. Never worked out why, I can be using the same packet of seed and what seems like the same conditions.
I will definitely try salad crops, thanks.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I've grown tomatoes in buckets with compost out of the compost bin with nothing added, didn't even feed them because i had some other things going on but they did really well.
Carrots and spring onions did well but it's the watering that i slip up on, not enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My spring onions didn't germinate, being able to lift the bucket is a good way to gauge if it needs watering. A lot of my buckets have small bulbs in at the moment, so can see what they are and decide if I want to keep them. I think a lot are paperwhites people have given us over the years, but I know there are some tulips and hyacinth in there as well as other daffs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing I have wondered about is orientation. When I move them about I put them with the pouring lIp pointing South. I have no evidence of any sort, but it seems natural for rooted plants to maintain an orientation, even if it isn't to vary location.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another thing I find handy with some plants is to put in a stick and tie the handle of the bucket to it, it saves on pulling the handle vertical through foliage when they grow a bit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was the pigeons that decimated my cabbages, I'll probably try again. I was hopeful as I found being able to move them around and separate them confused the cabbage whites; someone here said they need to land on three cabbage leaves in succession before laying eggs and it seems to be valid.
Parsnips I have found give me 100% germination, or nothing. Never worked out why, I can be using the same packet of seed and what seems like the same conditions.
I will definitely try salad crops, thanks.
I watched a cabbage white hover over netted cabbage - it worked out where it wanted to get in, eyed it up, folded its wings flat - very flat, and dropped like a stone, managing to get through a slit in the net I couldn't even see was there. I think they are rather more clever and agile than me. I wondered how it thought it would escape again once the eggs were laid, then decided it was a risk it had to take for the offspring. Amazing..........mind you, if I cast my mind back - a very long way, I can clearly remember winning a limbo competition

One thing I have wondered about is orientation. When I move them about I put them with the pouring lIp pointing South. I have no evidence of any sort, but it seems natural for rooted plants to maintain an orientation, even if it isn't to vary location.
It was hot last summer, so I left all my pots and tubs in the shade. They seemed to like that. The back garden faces North, but is very sheltered.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was hot last summer, so I left all my pots and tubs in the shade. They seemed to like that. The back garden faces North, but is very sheltered.
I love being able to move things about, I can take them away from pests, give them a bit of sun, or just have them close by to look at. I do think wondering about a butterfly planning its escape is not just a tad anthropomorphic :) but they are persistent in their pursuit of reproduction once they have located a target.
Facing North does not seem to be such a bad thing for some reason. Years ago I read that one should use the north end of the greenhouse to put plants against to overwinter. and it does seem to work. Partly I think extreme conditions tend to come from the east to east south east , or the south west; one cold east winds just starting to turn up around the weather system, or Atlantic gales, wild and full of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I did several buckets and the like years ago when I was at a place that the ground was bad.

Problem I had was something like a tomato in the summer could dry out a bucket in less than a sunny day so if you don't stay on top of watering you can lose it fast.

I limited to either fast crop things like basil and lettuce or peppers and tomatoes. If I remember correctly 3 bell pepper plants did well when planted together in one 5 gallon bucket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love growing carrots in a bucket. At harvest I just pick the bucket up and dump it all in a wheelbarrow and get me carrots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did several buckets and the like years ago when I was at a place that the ground was bad.

Problem I had was something like a tomato in the summer could dry out a bucket in less than a sunny day so if you don't stay on top of watering you can lose it fast.

I limited to either fast crop things like basil and lettuce or peppers and tomatoes. If I remember correctly 3 bell pepper plants did well when planted together in one 5 gallon bucket.
I get round the watering thing by standing them in a tray of water, the wood in the bottom means they stay damp but don't become saturated.
It may also be that hot sunny days in England ...

Reaction score
Country
France
Anyone tried the hanging colander?
Great for toms/herbs
Hang it outside the kitchen door, Handy for collection when it's raining you do not have far to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Best thing I ever grew in buckets were bunching onions and salad greens. Being able to move a garden around is great. :)

Ask a Question