Compost bin growing mold

Reaction score
Country
United States
I created a compost bin and put worms inside it. I put the lid on top with holes in it. I came down one day, and worms had crawled out of it, up and through the sides. Even after putting some weight on top. I also noticed mold growing inside. So I keep an LED light on it all the time to prevent the worms from coming out, but now I fear I am only worsening the mold problem. Any ideas on how to properly run this thing?

IMG_20231006_175653_759.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Moisten it, flip it about for aeration, repeat next month and thereafter. Do not torture worms, they are unhappy but cannot escape you. Compost gets hot and yucky to them as the varieties of bacteria and fungi move through doing their decomposition functions. It will compost without worms, they are but one of the insects that feed on cimpost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Should I keep the lid on it? How often should I water it, and how much water?
So if they are escaping, it's because they are unhappy, and it's not natural to escape from the soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
they are but one of the insects that feed on cimpost.
Insects !!
I know nothing about composting systems like that, but the worms come to the top of my black compost bin on days when the sun gets on it and it gets too hot for them, have you checked heat?
I wouldn't think your watering regime is too bad, I think that fungus would suffer if it is too wet or dry.
When I get fungus like that in things I usually find turning it over a breaking it up really knocks it back. . Some one may say I am wrong, but fungus breaking up compost instead of worms seems no bad thing, even if not what was originally intended.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What you probably want to do is more of a multilayered worm composting bin rather than a simple compost pile in a plastic tub. It is a different design with screens of different sizes graduating to a finer mesh drawer where the finished 'post can be removed and used

Ask a Question