Do Roots Stop Growing After A Tree Is Cut Down & Stump Ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi All,
I searched all over the Internet Of Questionable Information and got conflicting answers if roots continue to grow after a tree stump is ground.

Reason?
The neighbors had an unknown variety of elm about 25 feet from my sewer, which is clay tiles. Roots invade the joints between tiles and I have to use copper sulfate periodically (or snake if I forget for a couple of months).

The city condemned the tree as a nuisance, which is too bad because it was huge and beautiful. The cooper's hawks had two nests and it was fun to watch them launch & circle each evening.

The tree was about 5 feet in diameter and the stump was ground today.

Do you think the roots below ground will still grow, or is my sewer safe?

Thanks for helping!
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks CPP Gardner!
It'll be interesting to see if any new tree sprouts show up after winter.
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here's One I Got A Laugh Out Of:

One I cut down a very tall eastern white pine in the yard. I dug a 4 foot diameter trench around the stump to reach the spreading roots. Using a junky 12" long reciprocating saw blade, I cut the exposed roots. Next I pried the stump up with a long wrecking bar, slicing the tap root when it was exposed.

Yay! Job Done!

Nope- The next spring, I had a perfect circle of evenly spaced little pine trees growing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's One I Got A Laugh Out Of:

One I cut down a very tall eastern white pine in the yard. I dug a 4 foot diameter trench around the stump to reach the spreading roots. Using a junky 12" long reciprocating saw blade, I cut the exposed roots. Next I pried the stump up with a long wrecking bar, slicing the tap root when it was exposed.

Yay! Job Done!

Nope- The next spring, I had a perfect circle of evenly spaced little pine trees growing!
You have to admire it's tenacity, but didn't it have one in the middle from the tap root :)

Ask a Question