When Cicadas are ready to emerge do this feed on garden plant roots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had some strange issues with my Vegetable garden this year in SW Michigan, I just noticed that cicadas are starting to emerge lots of them I see their shells and hear them singing in the trees. I know they feed on Tree Roots but do they feed on say Corn, carrots or any other roots when working there way up? Its my first time planning in Michigan I was very successful in Pennsylvania. What's happening is the Corn was stunted only grew to 2'-3' the. They tasseled early, all the pollen was released weeks before the silks emerged so the corn is a total loss, the carrots 90% failed completely, I did a lot of prep of the soil, It was used 5 years ago by my step mother she never had an issue before, just asking iym trying to figure out whats going on? I was told she did soil samples every few years also. It's on a 200 AC horse ranch half is renting out to farmers that swap between Corn and Beans, they are growing beans this year. Or I would not have tried growing corn if I was surrounded by a different crop (didn't want to have a cross pollination issue) this is the first year my green thumb turned black 😭

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It's possible they could be. I got this off google, I always thought they stick with tree roots but this sounds like they would feed from any juicy plant root.

Cicadas are herbivores meaning they primarily feed on vegetation. The young ones (nymph) use their modified mouthparts to feed on includes juices and sap obtained from plant roots while the molting cicadas eat twigs.

Ask a Question