Tree stump removal - already buried

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope someone can give me some advise.
Recently I investigated a small area of soil that was always really soft under foot.

I dug down about 6 inches and found a old tree stump. Appears to be rotting away, and is very moist.

Stump is about 9-10 inches in diameter.

Should I dig this out as much as I can, or just re-fill and leave it to nature? It is close to exterior wall of a property

Thanks Tony

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314-143858_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314-143858_Gallery.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks both for your replies.

I'd be very happy to leave and just top up with soil occasionally. Initially I was concerned it may damage the adjacent wall and foundations, but not sure if this is a valid concern due to its small size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Damage to walls by roots is usually because moisture is being taken from under the foundation, not a problem if it is dead.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's easy you could just knock that out. I do it all the time, something specific like that takes some preparation if you want to make it more easier on yourself. Sometimes i do that, you just get a long hand pick axe an shovel. First for a month water very well around base of the trunk area like a foot away from the trunk. Just slowly keep putting water. Then after a month or two months of watering. Get to it with a shovel, an down deep enough to get a good look what that fresh tap root is looking like pop the tap root with a lot of good swings. An it should just pop out the dirt once all roots are chopped and fil with dirt. I get fruit trees that die sometimes, or wild brush I clean lots of stumps some small, medium and big. I once dug out a 30 foot dead tree by hand after a hurricane oh that's when its a problem. The huge root slap tf out me. Sounded like a solid punch hurt like hell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We had a prunus tree that died.
For years after cutting it down to six feet in height, we used it to support a wisteria. Then one day I noticed it was very rocky, so I carefully removed the wisteria and pushed the stump over and dragged it away.

P1010997.JPG

I took a sharp spade to what was left and dug it in. I used a redundant tall bird feeder to support the wisteria.
What was left of the tree had no effect on anything growing in this bed. As has been suggested, whatever was left would carry on rotting.

P1020001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I never grew a wisteria what is that a wild tree species? Is it that last pic? Its got a beautiful structure wow

They are a variety of vine, pretty common in the UK. But they are cultivated, they originally came from Asia, but are native to North America too. There are several varieties, the most common are shades of blue, but some are white and a few, pink.

I've found the photo of ours.

P1050936.JPG

Uncontrolled they'll spread like a weed, they'll get into the roof space if allowed.

They are a lot of work and need regular pruning throughout the summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are a variety of vine, pretty common in the UK. But they are cultivated, they originally came from Asia, but are native to North America too. There are several varieties, the most common are shades of blue, but some are white and a few, pink.

I've found the photo of ours.

View attachment 94755

Uncontrolled they'll spread like a weed, they'll get into the roof space if allowed.

They are a lot of work and need regular pruning throughout the summer.
Interesting..

Ask a Question