How to remove tree stumps?

Reaction score
Hi

I recently had 3 large crepe myrtles cut down as they were messing up my driveway and reaching power lines. The tree stumps are quite large and I was wondering if short of digging at first if there was something I could poor on them to soften them up or another trick prior to dig?
I want to plant some bananas in their place.

Thanks

Patrick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi

I recently had 3 large crepe myrtles cut down as they were messing up my driveway and reaching power lines. The tree stumps are quite large and I was wondering if short of digging at first if there was something I could poor on them to soften them up or another trick prior to dig?
I want to plant some bananas in their place.

Thanks

Patrick
Most nurserys and big hardware stores sell a product called Stump Remover. Hy Yield is a distributor and so is Spectricide. All it is is Potassium Nitrate, sometimes called Salt Peter. Drill a bunch of 1/2" holes as deep as you can in the trunk and pour the stuff in the holes and wait a few weeks. It will turn the wood into soft cellulose. You can then easily dig it up or soak it with diesel fuel and burn it which is easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I understand the problem with the tree stump especially when it is quite big. When we removed the mahogany tree in the sidewalk fronting our house, it looked impossible to remove the stump since the tree's diameter is almost a foot (already a mature tree). And we would be installing a drainage, the reason why the tree was removed. We hired a guy who worked on the stump for half a day. He used a long iron bar with a pointed end that he used to hit the stump over and over until the wood disintegrated. It was hard work but he did it.

Ask a Question