Help with my money tree (Pachira aquatica)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Hoping someone can help me out please! I’ve had a money tree since 2016 and it’s suddenly starting to lose life. I’ve moved 1 time in these 7 years and that was in 2019 so nothings changed since then.

It’s still growing new leaves but it’s thinning out very dramatically and leaves fall everyday so I am nervous it’s dying faster than it’s growing. I haven’t changed positioning or lighting or watering patterns or anything! Any tips or ideas to preserve it and bring it back to a healthy life?
IMG_2230.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
If it hasn't been repotted recently you should do that. Next it should be cut back. It looks like it hasn't had enough light sometime in it's life. If you give it the right amount of water and light after you cut it back, it should sprout new shoots from the lower stems. I am sure others will disagree with me but I think this is the perfect time to be cutting back things. I have allot of large plants in my greenhouse and this is exactly when I gut them back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Definitely more light.
Does the pot have a hole in the bottom for water to drain out?
Cutting back and giving it more light will stimulate new growth that is fuller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine likes be near a south facing window and seems to enjoy the humidity of its neighbors.

Attachments

• 8A9E7A4C-E744-44D2-BC22-44AC9BCFFA31.jpeg
    8A9E7A4C-E744-44D2-BC22-44AC9BCFFA31.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering why they bind the trunks together on pachira maybe this is the reason? I notice yours has become unbound at the top maybe if you rebound it might look better. Looks like it's dropping leaves mine did that so I moved it to a lighter position and hasn't dropped anything much since but still not perfect like pic above.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, this is exactly what my schefelara (I always have a problem spelling that) is doing. My husband wants to cut it back, and I guess I will let him do it. The plant has lived in a north facing window for years without any issues, but it is now complaining. We got plantation shutters, and I think that might be the problem. I position the shutter slats near the plant so they allow light to get in, but that doesn’t seem to help. The plant is exhibiting the same problems that the money tree has. Lots of new growth and lots of fallen leaves.

Ask a Question