Money Tree Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I bought a money tree about a month ago and it was in good condition. Now it’s looking pretty rough. Many of the leaves are turning brown and shriveling even though it does have some new growth at the top. I’ve read to water them when the soil feels dry and I’ve been doing that. It sits on a bookshelf and doesn’t get a ton of light but even when I put it on my windowsill it doesn’t seem to help perk it up. Some of the Trunks have also turned brown. I really don’t want it to die so I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
B3F10533-6744-4C25-8B5A-288EB967A5CB.jpeg
D445BBD1-084A-479D-8582-A21DD0C67801.jpeg
E4FB65FB-AD63-4989-A6FE-63F60C31EDE3.jpeg
E78011B2-6132-4D22-B57E-4D94AD9B66B3.jpeg
D25FEBBC-B457-4E8E-8CBA-6A7BC66E429A.jpeg
1353B794-EED6-4864-85FA-C2DEDCC7296A.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Gkelly :)

What kind of pot is that in? Does it have any drainage holes in it? How much do you water it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @Gkelly :)

What kind of pot is that in? Does it have any drainage holes in it? How much do you water it?

It does not have a drainage hole! It’s in a ceramic pot. I did wonder if that was the issue but the person I bought it from is a real green thumb and had it in that pot so I didn’t know if that was the cause or not. Do you think I need to re-pot it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It does not have a drainage hole! It’s in a ceramic pot. I did wonder if that was the issue but the person I bought it from is a real green thumb and had it in that pot so I didn’t know if that was the cause or not. Do you think I need to re-pot it?
(y)
It might be too late. If you have watered it, it probably has root rot by now. All living plants need drainage - unless they are plastic ones.
Get it out of that pot straight away and have a look at the roots. That should tell you if there`s any life left in it. If there is, you will need another pot, a bit bigger (not too big) and some good all purpose compost with a bit of fine grit in it.
If the root is mushy, throw the plant away and tell your ''green thumb'' friend you want your money back

Reaction score
Country
United States
(y)
It might be too late. If you have watered it, it probably has root rot by now. All living plants need drainage - unless they are plastic ones.
Get it out of that pot straight away and have a look at the roots. That should tell you if there`s any life left in it. If there is, you will need another pot, a bit bigger (not too big) and some good all purpose compost with a bit of fine grit in it.
If the root is mushy, throw the plant away and tell your ''green thumb'' friend you want your money back

Aww poor plant I hope it’s salvageable! Thank you for the tips, I’ll try that and see what happens. Hopefully that will be the key and I can save it a bit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I bought a money tree about a month ago and it was in good condition. Now it’s looking pretty rough. Many of the leaves are turning brown and shriveling even though it does have some new growth at the top. I’ve read to water them when the soil feels dry and I’ve been doing that. It sits on a bookshelf and doesn’t get a ton of light but even when I put it on my windowsill it doesn’t seem to help perk it up. Some of the Trunks have also turned brown. I really don’t want it to die so I appreciate any advice! Thank you! View attachment 72715View attachment 72716View attachment 72717View attachment 72718View attachment 72719View attachment 72720
Somebody gave me a money tree about a month ago, I had it inside it wasn’t doing well, I put it outside and it’s really thriving, it really seems to enjoy the hot, direct sunlight although everything I read, says it should be indirect, it’s growing like wild outside, maybe I have a mutant one

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to tell you the truth, but you can't grow a money tree plant in a container without drainage. It will be over or under-watered and you will never know which since you can't tip the plant out of the pot and take a look at your roots. You would would be better off keeping the plant in the nursery pot.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It’s looking much better! Humidity , light and drainage will perk her up. Mine is about to be repotted

For whatever reason I can't seem to keep a plant alive inside no matter what I do lol. All those plants are lovely!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to tell you the truth, but you can't grow a money tree plant in a container without drainage. It will be over or under-watered and you will never know which since you can't tip the plant out of the pot and take a look at your roots. You would would be better off keeping the plant in the nursery pot.
Mine is in a drainage pot, it’s got four new leaves today.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sorry to hear that your money tree is not doing well. Let's try to troubleshoot the issues to help revive your plant, I will give you a few tips based on my experience. While it's essential to water when the soil feels dry, ensure you're not overwatering the money tree. Overwatering can lead to root rot and cause the leaves to turn brown and shrivel. Ensure that the pot has proper drainage and that you allow excess water to escape. Secondly, Money trees generally prefer bright, indirect light. While they can tolerate moderate light, placing the plant on a bookshelf where it doesn't receive much light might contribute to its decline. Try to find a spot with bright, indirect light, like a few feet away from a well-lit window, and see how it responds.

Ask a Question