Will the cicadas affect our veggie plants?

Reaction score
With the cicada coming sometime this spring 2013, will they affect our plants? Meaning will they eat or suck the sap from our vegetable plants?

Reaction score
As far as I know, and as far as I have been able to find out, cicadas don't bother anything but trees (woody plants). Vegetable and fruit gardens should be safe. They have never bothered my gardens.

Reaction score
As far as I know, and as far as I have been able to find out, cicadas don't bother anything but trees (woody plants). Vegetable and fruit gardens should be safe. They have never bothered my gardens.

Hello and thank you for your response. I had heard they really like the woody trees. My husband seems to think there's something wrong with me because he knows how bugs creep me out. He says he can't understand how is it that I do all this gardening but can't deal with the bugs (LOL), they are just so creepy to me, not all of them, just some, I believe it's the larger bugs. It seems of late my real enemy has been the stink bugs. As a matter-of-fact, I was just telling my husband maybe I should re-consider doing any planting because I may have to deal with both the cicadas and stink bugs, but it seems nothing can stop me from planting, I'll just have to deal with them, but it seems I don't see as many of the stink bugs like I did when we first started seeing them in our area. Also, it seems the stink bugs don't really get active until late summer and in the case, I'll just have to watch my garden because one year, I think about two years ago, they were getting on some of my tomatoes and sucking the sap out so I just fed those to the turtles.

Again, thank you for your reply, I actually feel a little less worried.

Reaction score
You're welcome.

I did not notice stink bugs in my garden when I lived up north. I kind of wonder if the cats played with them, and got rid of them. There weren't many in that area. I've seen more in this area, but not in my neighborhood.

Reaction score
"As far as I know, and as far as I have been able to find out, cicadas don't bother anything but trees (woody plants). Vegetable and fruit gardens should be safe. They have never bothered my gardens."

Couldn't agree more..

Reaction score
I great to hear that cicadas don't mess with vegetables. From what I've heard they are out every 13 years in my region. I've never experience them, so I was afraid they would be a nightmare.

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for your response. I had heard they really like the woody trees. My husband seems to think there's something wrong with me because he knows how bugs creep me out. He says he can't understand how is it that I do all this gardening but can't deal with the bugs (LOL), they are just so creepy to me, not all of them, just some, I believe it's the larger bugs. It seems of late my real enemy has been the stink bugs. As a matter-of-fact, I was just telling my husband maybe I should re-consider doing any planting because I may have to deal with both the cicadas and stink bugs, but it seems nothing can stop me from planting, I'll just have to deal with them, but it seems I don't see as many of the stink bugs like I did when we first started seeing them in our area. Also, it seems the stink bugs don't really get active until late summer and in the case, I'll just have to watch my garden because one year, I think about two years ago, they were getting on some of my tomatoes and sucking the sap out so I just fed those to the turtles.

Again, thank you for your reply, I actually feel a little less worried.

Haha, I know what you mean about bugs - some can be a bit creepy! Everybody laughs at me because I don't like worms. I mean I leave them alone in the soil and know they are good for the soil, but I won't touch one!

Cicadas are interested in each other and trees. To us they are just a loud disturbance and pose no threat to us and as far as I know are no threat to the garden.

Are you sure it was stink bugs eating your plants? I have never seen any of them on my plants and stinkbugs here are out from the start of spring to the end of fall. I notice they are hard to get rid of and can survive being put in the freezer for prolonged periods of time too :eek: Not saying they don't eat garden plants tho, just saying I have not seen any of the ones here eat my plants. They get in the house and annoy us tho!

Ask a Question