Can I do anything with Asparagus already 6' tall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted it years ago. It survived multiple freezes. And every spring it outruns me, growing before I can even get out to the garden. It is over 6' already. Can anything on it be eaten? Or should I just chop the whole thing off and let it grow from the ground again?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You should have eaten those tall things when they were about 6-8 inches tall. Those tall fronds make for more root growth and more sprouts next year. But if you look closely you can probably still find some new sprouts to harvest. I would let the large fronds grow and mow them down in the fall after they go dormant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. I'll see if I can find any short ones. Figured nothing could be done with the tall ones. Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im really new to growing asparagus. Everything I see about planting & growing asparagus says to backfill as they grow. What happens if I dont?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Im really new to growing asparagus. Everything I see about planting & growing asparagus says to backfill as they grow. What happens if I dont?

By backfill do you mean add nutrient rich compost? If so, you will prevent the rapid loss of nutrients that results when harvesting the shoots repeatedly.

If you fail to do that, your yields will steadily drop to finally almost nothing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By backfill do you mean add nutrient rich compost? If so, you will prevent the rapid loss of nutrients that results when harvesting the shoots repeatedly.

If you fail to do that, your yields will steadily drop to finally almost nothing.
No, Every thing I seem to run in to about growing says when you first plant them says bury the crowns with 2 inches of soil or compost & fill (backfill) as they gow. I do know enough not to harvest at least until 2-3 seasons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, Every thing I seem to run in to about growing says when you first plant them says bury the crowns with 2 inches of soil or compost & fill (backfill) as they gow. I do know enough not to harvest at least until 2-3 seasons.
I add about a half inch of compost each year but I wouldn't call that backfill

Reaction score
Country
United States
I add about a half inch of compost each year but I wouldn't call that backfill
At the begining of the season? Beyond that you just let them grow?, Is this what you done when you first planted them? sorry forr so many questions. Did you start with seeds or crowns? Thank yall for your replies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I planted it years ago. It survived multiple freezes. And every spring it outruns me, growing before I can even get out to the garden. It is over 6' already. Can anything on it be eaten? Or should I just chop the whole thing off and let it grow from the ground again?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Soup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
At the begining of the season? Beyond that you just let them grow?, Is this what you done when you first planted them? sorry forr so many questions. Did you start with seeds or crowns? Thank yall for your replies.
I started with crowns. Dug a few 1' deep trenches and filled them up with 50/50 compost and soil, then planted the crowns 2 or 3 inches deep. The following spring I added about 1/2"-1" compost with fertilizer before the spears started showing. I did the same thing year after year until I moved away. I always cut down the fronds after the first frost and they had browned out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You cannot eat any of it. I have 2 asparagus beds side by side with a path down the middle. I always stop picking the second week of June and then I enclose both beds with 1 metre barrier netting to support them on windy days. Come November I cut it right back and cover the bed with well rotted farmyard manure. Usually start picking the 2nd week of April depending on the weather. A cold spell will knock it back a bit. My biggest problem is keeping it weed free throughout the picking season it's a nightmare.

Ask a Question