How can I get orange tree roots from removed tree to stop sprouting?

Reaction score
We had ornamental orange trees and although they were ok to look at, they were useless. I had my teen dig them out, but he left behind some roots. Our soil is rock hard and I hate to go in search of all the stragglers, but shoots keep popping up, as much as 10 feet away from where the trees were. D: Is there a way to kill them off without digging them all up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Why not graft some quality fruit onto the sprouting root stock. The root stock is obviously hardy, take advantage of it. grafting is not all that hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Your problem looks like a science fiction story where the tree grows roots farther and farther until it reaches the house, hahahaaa. Since the roots are underground, the only remedy I see is to dig the ground or plow if you have to so you can thresh out the soil and completely remove the roots. Other than that, I cannot think of another way.

Ask a Question