Growing Corn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
not new to a garden but new to corn growing - planted a full bed today what are the things i have to do or watch out for - planted the kernel not the plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Rabits chomp new shoots in one evening. Birds like the emerging small shoots. Many seeds can dry quickly and will not germinate. After heads form squirrels can devastate the cobs.

Posted on May 22, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HMGPN 22 May 2015 Planting Indian Corn
About 80 seeds of various Indian Corn was planted in an area of 8 feet by 12 feet. The seeds were allowed to sprout in water for about three days to insure germination. Seeds were planted about two inches deep and six inches apart and under a raised board to keep moisture present and to keep birds at bay. The cobs will be allowed to dry on the plants when mature. The kernels will be removed and made into nixtamalized product and used as cereal and some made into tortillas.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What I have to watch out for are corn ear worms. You can take care of them by applying either Bt, spinosad or mineral oil to the silks of ears of corn as it appears. Apply so that whatever you use goes down onto what will be the corn cob. I do this every week for a month. I probably don't have to do it that much but I like to make sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Seldom see corn ear worms, probably the cool climate in Zone 5. I have seen them but only in small numbers and rare.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Rabits chomp new shoots in one evening. Birds like the emerging small shoots. Many seeds can dry quickly and will not germinate. After heads form squirrels can devastate the cobs.

Posted on May 22, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HMGPN 22 May 2015 Planting Indian Corn
About 80 seeds of various Indian Corn was planted in an area of 8 feet by 12 feet. The seeds were allowed to sprout in water for about three days to insure germination. Seeds were planted about two inches deep and six inches apart and under a raised board to keep moisture present and to keep birds at bay. The cobs will be allowed to dry on the plants when mature. The kernels will be removed and made into nixtamalized product and used as cereal and some made into tortillas.
URL
I sprout them like this, then into rootrainers for four-five weeks and plant them out after last frosts, and large enough to withstand pests.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/September 2016/11 September 2016 Indian Corn/HTML/ 11 September 2016 Indian Corn
My 8 by 8 foot patch of Indian Corn was harvested and husked today. One bushel basket was obtained. It will be thoroughly dried in the Sun and shelled and weighed. The shelled corn will be nixtamalized and made into gruel (cereal) and some used for making tortillas.
dsc_318811%20september%202016%20indian%20corn_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

Ask a Question