Anyone growing corn

Reaction score
I thought this would be the year I tried my hand a growing corn but it didn't happen.

Anyone here growing corn and if so do you have any tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought this would be the year I tried my hand a growing corn but it didn't happen.

Anyone here growing corn and if so do you have any tips?
I have never really spent much time in the Mid-West but I imagine growing sweet corn is about the same there as it is here in South central Texas. I am convinced that varieties of sweet corn make a big difference. I have grown many, some successful many not so much. I think you have to ask other local gardners what varieties have worked for them in your area. Having said that here is how I plant sweet corn.
Corn has to be planted close together because it is wind pollinated. I plant mine about 8" apart and double seeded in double rows. Each double row is 1 ' apart., in essence one block of corn 22' long and 30' wide. I plant 2 of these blocks. I realize most folks don't have this much room. It doesn't matter how big the area is, all that matters is the corn is close together. When the seeds germinate and are about 3" tall I snip off the shortest of the double seeded seedlings leaving 4 cornplants every 8". At this time I sidedress with a good organic fertilizer mixed with compost and water it in. Then about 3 weeks later you will start to see what will eventually be the tassle. It is very important that you spray this forming tassle (I use Spinosad) because if insects get into your forming tassle and ruin it you will not have pollination. I do this twice, once when I first see the forming tassle and again when it is fully formed. Give the tassle a good soaking with the pesticide. About this same time you will notice, towards the base of the cornstalk a little tiny ear forming on the top of a leaf and emerging from the stalk. Spray this little ear also with either spinosad or Bt. I spray the ears every 2 weeks but in reality you can probably get by once a month after the ear has silked. This is to keep the corn earworm from hatching and eating your ear of corn. And that is about all there is to it. Sweet corn doesn't like to be wet. A good soaking once every 10 days is plenty. Normally insects aren't a problem on the plant itself but inspect your cornstalks every 3 or 4 days looking for beetles, stink bugs etc. and spot spray them if found. I also sidedress each plant as soon as I see silk with about a cup of fertilizer/compost. You harvest when the silk turns a little dry and dark brown.

Reaction score
The definitely know how to grow corn in the Midwest, especially Iowa. I have never seen corn plants that big anywhere else and they weren't silage corn. I don't have the space for it so I don't bother, the organic farm near by has some spectacularly good corn that I buy.

Reaction score
I have grown corn in a subtropical climate in a region with rich volcanic soil. The conditions were almost perfect. I didn't have to do much extra work, apart from providing the seedlings with good drainage and some cow dung for an extra boost. I used straw mulch and watered the plants a lot. They were quite thirsty. In the end I had a beautiful little crop of medium sized cobs that were very sweet and juicy.

Reaction score
Thanks Chuck, I'll have to check out the Spinosad, Very good info.
firelilly99, how fortunate to be so close to an organic farm!
Dora M, did you have any problems with insects on your corn?

Reaction score
No, Rhondi, I have actually rarely ever had problems with insects with whatever I have grown. Of course there have been the odd caterpillars that have been chewing themselves through my lettuce, and other bugs and slugs, but I think that companion planting, including herbs that naturally avert pests, have a lot to do with it. I know that corn doesn't like to be planted close to tomatoes and celery. Perhaps you would like to check out this companion planting chart for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Reaction score
Well I did grow some corn this year, but it really did not come out like I wanted. The corn stalks started to die off and the husks were not even fully matured yet. It was like half a corn cob when I took it out. Well I am currently regrowing some Corn, but I am doing the kinds that is made to be made into popcorn and they actually look a lot stronger. My advice to you would be to make sure the soil is tilled and make sure the soil is good and that they get a lot of sun, I think my problem was that the soil was crap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well I did grow some corn this year, but it really did not come out like I wanted. The corn stalks started to die off and the husks were not even fully matured yet. It was like half a corn cob when I took it out. Well I am currently regrowing some Corn, but I am doing the kinds that is made to be made into popcorn and they actually look a lot stronger. My advice to you would be to make sure the soil is tilled and make sure the soil is good and that they get a lot of sun, I think my problem was that the soil was crap.
What is sounds like is that it didn't get complete pollonization

Reaction score
My Dad lives in the Virginia Beach area and he's got a very nice 50-foot row of corn growing in his backyard (along with several other vegetables). I always thought of corn as something to be grown on a large farm, I don't know why. But, he's got me inspired to grow some of my own, especially since he can show me exactly what he's doing.

Can I get seeds (or whatever I need) from his plants? I like the idea of knowing the origin of the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My Dad lives in the Virginia Beach area and he's got a very nice 50-foot row of corn growing in his backyard (along with several other vegetables). I always thought of corn as something to be grown on a large farm, I don't know why. But, he's got me inspired to grow some of my own, especially since he can show me exactly what he's doing.

Can I get seeds (or whatever I need) from his plants? I like the idea of knowing the origin of the plants.
It all depends on the variety. Most sweet corn today are hybrids, however if he is growing an old heirloom variety you can surely use his seeds.

Reaction score
CORN IS NOT INSECT POLLINATED. Corn is wind pollinated. That is why corn has to be planted close to each other.

I still blame them for it! There is so much wind here, I have no idea what the deal with that was. I planted them pretty close to each other. Might have been the soil or something. SOMETHING went wrong. God hates me or something.

Ask a Question