Whole Fish for Growing Corn Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a beautiful... but hot day!

I would like to share my experience with growing corn for the first time and possibly get some feedback and suggestions. This spring my son and I decided to plant several rows of corn. My son is 15 and he suggested we use whole fish that we caught from our pond as fertilizer. Yep.. he is taking Native American History this semester. :) So we took our fish and put it in the trenches in our rows, put about an inch or so of dirt over it and then planted the corn seeds on top, and added another inch and a half of soil. My son being a miniature scientist suggested that we plant one row with no fish to see if the Indians did indeed have the right idea. The results are simply amazing, the rows with the fish are a good 7 to 8 inches taller and seem to be healthier.

Only problem we encountered besides the smell for the first few days, was the critters digging the fish up in a couple of spots. We buried the fish an average of about 6 inches down, and the fish were about 5 to 10 inches in length.

I was wondering if anyone knew how far down we could bury the fish while still being beneficial to the seed and plant growth? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fish is a great fertilizer and commercially available as fish emulsion which is diluted in water for use. I don't know where you are located but if you are in Texas or just about anywhere in the south you will soon be covered up with fire ants. When your corn matures the ants will climb up the plant going for the sugar in the kernels and will ruin your crop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I was just reading an article on some of the farming practices of the Abenaki's in Northern New England earlier this spring and it stated it is now traditional to plant a whole or partial fish about the size of your hand 8 -18 inches into soil (might eliminate critters digging).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have been using fish parts (carcass, guts, etc.) that I get after cleaning the fish that I catch for many years.
I dig holes down to about 16-24 inches and bury the fish in the hole, cover them up and then plant as I normally would.
I have no problems with smell or critters digging and the roots grow deep to access the fish, which in turn helps when it gets dry and hot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
What a beautiful... but hot day!

I would like to share my experience with growing corn for the first time and possibly get some feedback and suggestions. This spring my son and I decided to plant several rows of corn. My son is 15 and he suggested we use whole fish that we caught from our pond as fertilizer. Yep.. he is taking Native American History this semester. :) So we took our fish and put it in the trenches in our rows, put about an inch or so of dirt over it and then planted the corn seeds on top, and added another inch and a half of soil. My son being a miniature scientist suggested that we plant one row with no fish to see if the Indians did indeed have the right idea. The results are simply amazing, the rows with the fish are a good 7 to 8 inches taller and seem to be healthier.

Only problem we encountered besides the smell for the first few days, was the critters digging the fish up in a couple of spots. We buried the fish an average of about 6 inches down, and the fish were about 5 to 10 inches in length.

I was wondering if anyone knew how far down we could bury the fish while still being beneficial to the seed and plant growth? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

My take on the fish in the planting hole was common Indian practice. The pious Plymouth arrivals attributed it to the Indians propitiating the Gods, which subsequently was found to be nonsense. The corn simply grew better with the fish, fertilizer if you like. Protection from digging animals will always be a problem, same as using blood bone meal.

Another Indian procedure when utilizing dried corn was the practice of nixtamalization.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, I had forgotten about this practice - we did it back in the UK when I was a kid, many many years ago. Also crushed seashells for calcium, both in the soil and as a chicken feed component (which also led to having plenty of chicken poop for fertilizing.) :)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Oh that's interesting I had no idea that this could be done. I always assumed that fertiliser has to be from some other source.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My parents always used whatever left of the fish (bones, guts) and buried it in their garden; and they planted corn and other vegetables in that area. I have to say it worked wonder and everything grew beautifully. Good luck with yours!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Does it not attract other things like cats and mice as the smell must have a scent that they are attracted to?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Oh that is interesting and will pass this on as I never imagined fish fertiliser before. I must be living in the stone ages because this is the first time I have heard of it and if it works then we shall try it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am not good in farming but my husband is so may I share his knowledge. First off is the planting of corn. When the beds are ready, dig a 4-inch hole and put in 3 kernels of corn then cover it with soil. The distance between holes should be 1 meter or 3 feet.

Now, with the fish, what he uses is not the fish but the water that was used in washing the fish. But you only use fertilizer when the corn is already 1 foot high. I hope that helps.

Ask a Question