Growing clematis in CA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've been saving a unsightly spot in my yard for clematis. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for growing clematis in California, the Central Valley more specifically?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought clematis was a four-season perennial not suited to a hot dry climate? I had one growing all over the mailbox at my last house, I gave it zero care and it just did its thing.

I googled and there are several hundred types so I would think a good garden center would be your best resource for finding those that grow in the Central Valley.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my near-coastal California garden (USDA Zone 9b or 10a), I've had some success with Clematis. They do best in Full Sun, at least half a day, and should be planted in rich, well-draining soil and receive regular irrigation from Spring through Fall.

The only places in California rated USDA Zone 6b occur at fairly high elevation in the mountains or on the Modoc Plateau.
I presume the OP's garden is in the Sierra Nevada above the Central Valley.

Ask a Question