Growing chillies indoors

Reaction score
Last year I planted some chillies in pots on the windowsill of my guest bedroom, as it's like a sun trap. I got plants, and leaves, albeit it long and thin - there wasn't much 'bushiness' going on, but very few chillies. Out of five plants I think I got around 15 chillies, which was really disappointing. Any ideas what I may have done wrong? I didn't actually feed the plants, I just watered them - could that have been the problem?

Reaction score
I grow chilles all year round. I do almost the same thing except that I add some compost every now and then to my plant. I get about 1Kg of chillies from one plant. I keep giving it away to my friends. As I cannot use that much.

Reaction score
Not too sure about the chillies you have there but the species that we have here needs a lot of sun. They just don't do well in the shade. Once I did come across one species that came from the highlands. That particular species was acclimatized to growing without much sunshine. I have tried growing it under the shade of big trees and it thrived.

Reaction score
Maddie, I did have the plants in organic compost. Should I have kept repotting them into bigger pots?
Rachel, that could depend on the varieties. A moderately sized pot is generally enough to grow chilies. Sunlight is important.. but for a plant to produce more vegetables or flowers you need to feed it some nutrients. This is true especially of plants in containers. I prefer to go organic with my vegetables while I use chemical fertilizers for my flowering plants.

Reaction score
Just curious. What kind of organic fertilizer do you use? Here we have organic fertilizer made basically from goat's droppings. When I was living in the countryside, I used the goat droppings unprocessed, more or less, from the source.

Reaction score
Victor, as I mentioned in my first post I didn't fertilise, I planted them in organic compost and then just watered them. I will probably feed them with a liquid fertiliser next year to see if that helps. Can't hurt I guess!

Reaction score
Organic compost? That's a very good start. So did you make the organic compost yourself? Or is it sold in the stores? I have not seen any organic compost being sold around here yet. Only organic fertilizer so far. The government is giving a lot of incentives to companies producing organic fertilizers.

Reaction score
Just curious. What kind of organic fertilizer do you use? Here we have organic fertilizer made basically from goat's droppings. When I was living in the countryside, I used the goat droppings unprocessed, more or less, from the source.
I use kitchen waste for my composting.. But I usually buy vermicompost for my veggies as my home made compost is never enough. No, I do not use dung of any kind as I do not want the smell to spread into my home..

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Last year I planted some chillies in pots on the windowsill of my guest bedroom, as it's like a sun trap. I got plants, and leaves, albeit it long and thin - there wasn't much 'bushiness' going on, but very few chillies. Out of five plants I think I got around 15 chillies, which was really disappointing. Any ideas what I may have done wrong? I didn't actually feed the plants, I just watered them - could that have been the problem?
I grew a chilli plant in the garden and it really grew quickly. I got a few chillies out of it until the monekys came and decided to eat what was left and then damaged the plant. Paprika chillie grows nicely in the garden and I have also tried growing it indoors now but it doesnt seem to be doing too well there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grew a chilli plant in the garden and it really grew quickly. I got a few chillies out of it until the monekys came and decided to eat what was left and then damaged the plant. Paprika chillie grows nicely in the garden and I have also tried growing it indoors now but it doesnt seem to be doing too well there.
You probably are not getting good pollination indoors or lack of proper sunlight

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I think it might bethe lack of sunlight because the kitchen doesn't have sunlight all day long, only in the mornings. I have placed one in the office near the window that gets sun all day long and will see how it goes. Hopefully I will be using those chillies for Christmas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There are many different varieties of chillies. Maybe yours doesn't bear a lot of fruits. Start fertilizing it regularly. This won't do any harm and might do some good. Growing chilli plants indoors is definitely possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Some chilli plants are just naturally bigger than others.
I grow chenzo chillis as the plants are compact, suit windowsill growing, and give hundreds of fruit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I currently have seven varieties of Chilli plants that I took indoors around October (just waiting for the weather to take them outside again), I'm struggling with watering them in time, I usually end up waiting for them to wilt for fear of over watering and root rot but a couple of times the leaves literally dried and fell off looking dead, has anyone used those terracotta watering spikes on Chilli plants before, again I have a fear of having the soil constantly moist.

Ask a Question