Growing 3 types of basil

Reaction score
everythings done with the new seeds. Humidity meter is installed so hopefully i wont get same issue again, the other plants are still dying even after been outside for soon 2 days. Anything else i can put into the basil other then light to make the new seeds more successfull, i have bough new dirt and fertilizer that the flowershop recommended for basil.

IMG_2121.JPG
when i read the Krathy method then hes using a airstone in the water for it to get air in the water. should i get one of that aswell?

Deep-Water-Culture-without-pump.png

Reaction score

Can basil get to much light? what will happen if i leave the light on 24 hours a day. i put new seeds into the soil 4 days ago and have had the light on constantly since then. can it be to much light for Basil as im confused when im reading about the sunlight for it. it says " as much sunlight possible " but this aint sunlight this is indoors lights. so does that mean i can have the light on all the time or does it need rest?

I added some foil in it to make so the light reflects better and got 2 more lights on the way. and a proper grow lamp from internet, but it make take some time before i get it due to covid.
image0 (1).jpg

The basil i put outside in a flowerpot is getting better, one of the basil died completly but the other 2 is alive and thriving and getting bigger everyday outside in the sun which im happy for.

Reaction score
It doesn't need any light until the plants are above the soil.
but once it pops outoff the soil how much lights do it needs then? it still doesnt answer my question when it says as much sunlight as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Probably will have enough light, but there is no way to tell from a photo.

How are the plants reacting? I suspect your problems were watering and fungus related earlier not light.

Have you read about the fungus "damping off" - yes it is a terrible common name as it has nothing to do with dampness.

Reaction score
Probably will have enough light, but there is no way to tell from a photo.

How are the plants reacting? I suspect your problems were watering and fungus related earlier not light.

Have you read about the fungus "damping off" - yes it is a terrible common name as it has nothing to do with dampness.
i have read it, but there is like 5000 different tutorials but i followed one and it seems like it worked, just allowed the dirt to dry out in the sun and then i watered them little bit and left it in the sun for 5 days until it started to rain now those are growing real nice as it looks for me, i also changed the soil for it and fertilized it.

IMG_2157.JPG These are the old ones with fungus problems before, do you think its safe to put them together with the other new seeds i planted last week? i read fungus could transfer to other plants if they were to close to each other?

i washed the dirt away in a bucket of water until i could see the roots of the basil and made a hole in the soil and replanted them all into new fresh fertilized soil.

The light on picture is a growing lamp with 60cm, 6400K, 2x24W white light with a reflector made for growing they said in store.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You should try suing some of these

Attachments

• 20201007_174127.jpg
    20201007_174127.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20201007_174140.jpg
    20201007_174140.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Btw i dont see the point in making forum threads on a gardening forum if you want me to go on amazon to buy a book, then what is the point with this forum if everyones supposed to go buy a book and read it? i though forums was to ask others and learn, not to be told to buy books and read.
With a rude answer like this one, when a member was trying to help you I am surprised anyone else would bother.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm a chef who love to make asian food. but becuase of corona and living a bit outside the city makes it hard to get enough Basil for my food i enjoy to eat, so i though about growing it myself. i have searched on internet and youtube for tutorials so i think i have understand it, but i have a question about my setup.

Would this setup work to grow, i have a reflector, where would it be best to place this so the light gets better for the plants? The plant on the side a mint plant from the store.

i dont have much plant skills, but should i remove the dirt for each leggy basil seedling/stem that grows after a week and put them in a seperate pot or can i just leave them together in a pot and let it grow?

i wanted to plant it outside but i think im a bit late, the weather where i live is not good and its just rain and rain so growing outside is not a option atm.

EDIT: The basil planted are:

Ocimum tenuifolium

Ocimum basilicum

Ocimum americanum

Hi.
I have a small area on the side of my house where I decided to plant a few herbs. I ended up planting three Genovese basil plants, two purple, two Thai, two spicy globe. I've also got Italian Parsley, Cilantro and chives planted in the same area (which you can't really see)

I do have another area in my back yard where I have Greek oregano and several different types of thyme.

I'll certainly miss these plants over winter
:)
But after some discussion at another website, I think I may try and harvest some of the seeds to plant next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I ended up planting three Genovese basil plants, two purple, two Thai, two spicy globe.

I'll certainly miss these plants over winter
:)
But after some discussion at another website, I think I may try and harvest some of the seeds to plant next year.

Seed saving basil is dead simple but try to keep them separated so you don't hybridize the resulting seeds too much. You don't need dozens of feet between the two types of basil like some sites say but keeping all 4 types in one bed or large pot will result in mixing.

Ask a Question