Growing 3 types of basil

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a chef who love to make asian food. but becuase of corona and living a bit outside the city makes it hard to get enough Basil for my food i enjoy to eat, so i though about growing it myself. i have searched on internet and youtube for tutorials so i think i have understand it, but i have a question about my setup.

Would this setup work to grow, i have a reflector, where would it be best to place this so the light gets better for the plants? The plant on the side a mint plant from the store.

i dont have much plant skills, but should i remove the dirt for each basil seedling/stem that grows after a week and put them in a seperate pot or can i just leave them together in a pot and let it grow?

i wanted to plant it outside but i think im a bit late, the weather where i live is not good and its just rain and rain so growing outside is not a option atm.

EDIT: The basil planted are:

Ocimum tenuifolium

Ocimum basilicum

Ocimum americanum

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 190
Reaction score
The normal store basil i started a week ago looks like this, should i replant those into a smaller pot one by one?

Attachments

• 296a50163bd4a356f0edbe18a9fc282b.png
    296a50163bd4a356f0edbe18a9fc282b.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 125
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You need much more light. Your plants are all very leggy which means that they are trying to reach more light.

Reaction score
You need much more light. Your plants are all very leggy which means that they are trying to reach more light.
They used to stand in my window in the start which could be the reason. then i put them into those aquariums yesterday. there was not enough sun in the window. But what if i replant those into smaller pots and put them a little bit deeper into the dirt?

What if i put some planks under the pot to make the plant get closer to the lamp?

Reaction score
Can i use this somewhere in the aquarium to give it stronger light? i bough this like 15 years ago when i was teen that i never used. Could i place it on the side or somewhere to boost the light?

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They used to stand in my window in the start which could be the reason. then i put them into those aquariums yesterday. there was not enough sun in the window. But what if i replant those into smaller pots and put them a little bit deeper into the dirt?

What if i put some planks under the pot to make the plant get closer to the lamp?
Smaller pots make it easier for YOU to keep the plants properly watered. Small pots do nothing for the plants. Your plants should be closer to the light and the light itself should be much brighter. And all that will happen if you plant them deeper is either stem rot or they will just become leggy again.

Reaction score
Smaller pots make it easier for YOU to keep the plants properly watered. Small pots do nothing for the plants. Your plants should be closer to the light and the light itself should be much brighter. And all that will happen if you plant them deeper is either stem rot or they will just become leggy again.

Thanks, I'm working on getting better light. i have 3x 125W growing lights with 2 different light types "Grow" and "flower" But i need a E40 socket for that which i need to order online. Those lights should be good enough for basil?

And the temprature inside where basil grows what is the best temprature, is 22Celsius to 24c ok for them to thrive?

Attachments

• 4c7bf2a87e857b47b69f61bbac81ece5.png
    4c7bf2a87e857b47b69f61bbac81ece5.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 135
Reaction score
i understand that those equipment in the picture can be used for something very different. it's old equipment that have been laying around for about 15 years from when i was young and dumb. Now im in my 40s and paid for my stupidity. So instead of throwing it in the garbage i wanted to use it to grow basil. all different guides ive been reading and watching all say different about temp,water,pots and such. thats why i came here and made a thread in hope to get proper answers.

EDIT: i moved them higher up, will this make the basil happier until i can get better light?

Attachments

• IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
i understand that those equipment in the picture can be used for something very different. it's old equipment that have been laying around for about 15 years from when i was young and dumb. Now im in my 40s and paid for my stupidity. So instead of throwing it in the garbage i wanted to use it to grow basil. all different guides ive been reading and watching all say different about temp,water,pots and such. thats why i came here and made a thread in hope to get proper answers.

EDIT: i moved them higher up, will this make the basil happier until i can get better light?
It will make them a little happier.

Reaction score
what is the best temperature for the basil? is it 18C like it says on the seedpackage or is it 22c to 28c like it says on internet. (celsius)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
what is the best temperature for the basil? is it 18C like it says on the seedpackage or is it 22c to 28c like it says on internet. (celsius)
Basil likes it warm. I live in Texas where it gets hot. I can't control the temperature but basil grows well up to about 34c but anything over that it seems to want to bolt too soon.

Reaction score
Basil likes it warm. I live in Texas where it gets hot. I can't control the temperature but basil grows well up to about 34c but anything over that it seems to want to bolt too soon.
Thanks for answer, i really need to grow my own basil. i have to import it from other places which cost me about 100-200$ a month. so i figured out growing it myself then paying import fees and shipping would be cheaper. Green curry and pad kra pao thai food is not the same without perfect thai basil and holy basil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for answer, i really need to grow my own basil. i have to import it from other places which cost me about 100-200$ a month. so i figured out growing it myself then paying import fees and shipping would be cheaper. Green curry and pad kra pao thai food is not the same without perfect thai basil and holy basil
Then you will have to invest in real grow lights. I am not an artificial light gardener, I just know how to grow basil. I would think about getting T-5 lights or similar and building a system.

Reaction score
is this light enough or do i need even more light? The seeds are starting to pop out from the soil that i planted 3 days ago, that is a good sign right? since ive read other threads here that some people it might take weeks before it pops outoff the soil?

Attachments

• IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
is this light enough or do i need even more light? The seeds are starting to pop out from the soil that i planted 3 days ago, that is a good sign right? since ive read other threads here that some people it might take weeks before it pops outoff the soil?
It is impossible by looking at a light if it is enough or not. I do know that it is not nearly close enough from the setups that I've seen. Fast germination only means that your soil temperature is correct. As I said, I am not an artificial light gardener.

Ask a Question