Gravel help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice please. I have been in my rented property for 2 years now and need help with all the gravel areas. There is grass/ growing through it all and you can hardly see the gravel for it. The gravel isn't very deep so when I try to get the grass up which is a nightmare in itself I'm just down to the plastic lining stuff underneath. I don't know what to do with these areas and it looks a right mess. I thought about trying to remove the gravel but don't know how hard this is but then on the other hand if I could just get rid of all the grass/weeds it could look okay??. My issue is because I just rent I don't want to put alot of money into the garden as done this before in other rentals then the landlord sells up but i want it to look nice while im here. Any advice really appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So this is gravel over plastic? The grass is growing in the dirt that has collected on top of the plastic and in between the gravel.

It's alot of work but you could clean the gravel and plastic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a long gravel driveway and it's hard work pulling unwanted grass/weeds out by hand. The last few years I've sprayed the drive with a glyphosate based weedkiller which kills it all off and it rots down. If you're happy to use it be careful not to spray on a windy day as any drift will kill other plants or lawns. I spray once a year.

107.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a long gravel driveway and it's hard work pulling unwanted grass/weeds out by hand. The last few years I've sprayed the drive with a glyphosate based weedkiller which kills it all off and it rots down. If you're happy to use it be careful not to spray on a windy day as any drift will kill other plants or lawns. I spray once a year.

View attachment 102557
Thanks for reply. Lovely driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm all for organic gardening, and prefer not to use weedkillers in the garden, but I would make an exception in this case, and do the same as @Sheal suggested. Just make sure that the weedkiller is well away from any vegetable plot you might have. You do grow other stuff besides gravel I hope :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm all for organic gardening, and prefer not to use weedkillers in the garden, but I would make an exception in this case, and do the same as @Sheal suggested. Just make sure that the weedkiller is well away from any vegetable plot you might have. You do grow other stuff besides gravel I hope :giggle:
😆 I thought gravel was on trend for growing this year

Reaction score
Country
Australia
If you wanted to avoid using spray you will have to see how hard it is to lift the plastic. There might be a weed free area under the plastic. If you then raked one area of gravel into a heap and let the sun kill the grass roots and all, you might have a means of doing the job.
I like Sheal's resort entrance driveway :).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you wanted to avoid using spray you will have to see how hard it is to lift the plastic. There might be a weed free area under the plastic. If you then raked one area of gravel into a heap and let the sun kill the grass roots and all, you might have a means of doing the job.
I like Sheal's resort entrance driveway :).
Thankyou, thats a idea

Ask a Question