Grass Cutting

Reaction score
Well he's a man, he'll want to do it his way, and it really doesn't matter it just depends on how well you want to take care of your lawn. And if he does it a certain way then he takes pride in your lawn and that's good.

Reaction score
I don't think there's any real "proper" way to cut your grass. Usually I do mine in counter clockwise fashion. Every week. It's not because it's more effective or because it looks better that way, it just usually ends up happening in that way. As long as you cut it neatly and don't have a bunch of random patches amongst all the cut grass your yard should look fine. Some people are just nitpicky about everything, how they cut their grass included. It doesn't really matter which direction you cut though, in reality.

Reaction score
My husband is very serious about the way he cuts the grass. He always cuts in two different directions. But when I was growing up, we cut it in a square type fashion every week in the same direction. Does it really matter? How do you cut your grass and in what direction?
I'm not quite sure what the right and wrong ways are but growing up we had a huge yard and I remember my dad cutting it is a square pattern too. He would start on the outside and just make his way to the very middle and be done at that point.

Good question to raise. I actually never though of it but I am sure there are many people that this would benefit!! Better to do it right than wrong!!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
So, what ever came of this situation? Is your husband still doing the same thing? Or did you change his mind? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for asking! I will attach a photo. We ended up going with the option of doing it different directions each week and it was a success! I don't know if it would have turned out just as good if we did it the same way or not, but the success of the lawn this summer got us a bonus and a chance at having the job again next year! Thank for the tips everybody!

Attachments

• P6290164.JPG
    P6290164.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 353
Reaction score
That mower looks like it would be a pain to mow with! Glad you got your situation straightened out, though! Thanks for sharing. Tell your husband not to be so particular about how he mows! Lol

Reaction score
My husband is very serious about the way he cuts the grass. He always cuts in two different directions. But when I was growing up, we cut it in a square type fashion every week in the same direction. Does it really matter? How do you cut your grass and in what direction?
To the best of my knowledge I don't think it really matters which way you cut the grass. Just so long as keep up a regular schedule during the spring and summer months; your lawn should appear well manicured. I cut my lawn once a week when the grass ids growing.

Reaction score
I didn't realize the direction the grass is cut makes a difference, I don't see our lawn guy cutting in particular direction, he just gets to work. I would like to keep the clippings for compost but it is not my choice. We have 5 large trees in the back so with the grass clippings and leaves we could have some really rich soil developing in the compost.

Composting, now there's a good use of grass clipping, If you had a cow, sheep, or a goat they might gladly take the grass off your hands too. Then,of course, you would have other problem though.

I don't think it ever matters how you cut your grass. " Just do IT" as the old Nike commercial use to say. Although I religiously mow south to north, north to south until I'm done.

Ask a Question