Grass Cutting

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
My husband is very serious about the way he cuts the grass. He always cuts in two different directions. But when I was growing up, we cut it in a square type fashion every week in the same direction. Does it really matter? How do you cut your grass and in what direction?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My husband is very serious about the way he cuts the grass. He always cuts in two different directions. But when I was growing up, we cut it in a square type fashion every week in the same direction. Does it really matter? How do you cut your grass and in what direction?
Well, to a grass cutting purist it does make a difference. When you go round and round in the same direction each time you will acquire a thatch buildup in visible rows. When you mow in different directions you tend to distribute the grass clippings more evenly. Why not get a grass clipping catcher for your mower and put all those unsightly clippings into your compost pile?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I had no idea that the direction of cutting grass matters. My parents always mow their lawn very randomly. I do it the same way. Also, I do it in a hurry, because my dog is scared of the noise of our mower;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To be honest, I had no idea that the direction of cutting grass matters. My parents always mow their lawn very randomly. I do it the same way. Also, I do it in a hurry, because my dog is scared of the noise of our mower;)
I think it is little "out there" too but to some folks a manicured lawn is a must and having unsightly rows of cut clippings being visible is just not acceptable and having your lawn cut as flat and even as a pool table a must.

Reaction score
Haha! Who would have guessed that the direction really mattered! I'm so glad we won't have a lawn, but we most likely have a pond! That's how it is in the place where I'll be moving to :) But this is some really good info to keep handy.

Reaction score
I don't think it really matters but at times my dad cut it three times each mowing. He loved his grass but I think he did it because he was bored and wanted to be out of the house for a longer time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think it is little "out there" too but to some folks a manicured lawn is a must and having unsightly rows of cut clippings being visible is just not acceptable and having your lawn cut as flat and even as a pool table a must.
My neighbor has an extremely manicured lawn. It looks so perfect that it's hard to believe that it's real;) On one hand, I find it pretty and tidy, on the other, I feel that it's something not for me. I like wild, weedy lawns, haha:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't realize the direction the grass is cut makes a difference, I don't see our lawn guy cutting in particular direction, he just gets to work. I would like to keep the clippings for compost but it is not my choice. We have 5 large trees in the back so with the grass clippings and leaves we could have some really rich soil developing in the compost.

Reaction score
Had always heard direction mattered. My biggest piece of yard, I do alternate directions. The other 2 pieces are smaller and really can only be mowed the same way each time. Can't say I can really tell a difference in looks between the 3 pieces.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Well, to a grass cutting purist it does make a difference. When you go round and round in the same direction each time you will acquire a thatch buildup in visible rows. When you mow in different directions you tend to distribute the grass clippings more evenly. Why not get a grass clipping catcher for your mower and put all those unsightly clippings into your compost pile?

He is very happy to read your response! Now I think I will be cutting my grass in alternate directions AND with a bag. After reading all the replies I did more research and some of the articles I read said that this type of mowing discourages weed growth! Also, one must be careful about not mowing too high or too low during certain types of year. For eg. in the spring - which would be now for the northern United States, we would mow lower because the weather is still cool. But as soon as it gets warmer we would let it be a little taller which will discourage ants, and help the grass during drought. Although right now in Michigan it, is very cold. We hope the true spring weather will start soon!

Reaction score
my (more or less square) front yard i try to cut diagonally, front left to back right one time, vice versa the next time i cut it. i remember my father doing that. i don't know why. my back yard has so much stuff there's only a few patches left, so i just cut in whatever way works. if i add any more i'll probaly be able to get away with just using a weed eater. i hate cutting it anyway so actually it's kinda a goal.

Reaction score
My husband would always mow in the same direction. Since I've taken over a few years ago, I go in different directions. I started doing it that way just because I like to change things up or I get bored. LOL! I guess maybe I was on to something without realizing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We usually cut our grass in long straight lines, and I never knew that it mattered. I would say cut it in a direction that makes that yard look visually appealing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
We usually cut our grass in long straight lines, and I never knew that it mattered. I would say cut it in a direction that makes that yard look visually appealing.
Thanks I have just landed a grass cutting job to make some extra money for the summer so I am sure all these posts will help me. One thing is for sure, someone needs to post a descent video on You Tube because there is only one guy on there that I can tell and my husband was horrified with how he was cutting.

Ask a Question