Grass alternatives?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative lawn cover to grass? I fell in love with chamomile and it's apple scent but I haven't succeeded in getting it to spread. Any other suggestions for a nice soft ground cover?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think that moss is a lovely alternative to grass. There are so many beautiful varieties of it, I'm sure you'll find something you like.
It will make your garden look like a gorgeous forest:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does matter where you live, that being said, Ivy is a very good ground cover. It grows fast and spreads to the point where it will take over the spot quickly.

Reaction score
I think that moss is a lovely alternative to grass. There are so many beautiful varieties of it, I'm sure you'll find something you like.
It will make your garden look like a gorgeous forest:)
Most people don't realize how many varieties of moss that there are. I have seen moss gardens and they are really quite fascinating and lovely to walk through. Perhaps a combo of moss and ferns if you have a low light area; think texture/shading and not so much colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Most people don't realize how many varieties of moss that there are. I have seen moss gardens and they are really quite fascinating and lovely to walk through. Perhaps a combo of moss and ferns if you have a low light area; think texture/shading and not so much colors.
A combo of moss and ferns would look beautiful, it's a great idea to plant them together. I'd like to do it in my garden, too.
I completely agree about moss gardens, they're lovely.

Reaction score

The best is Irish moss. It has a richer color compared to Scottish Moss. Both grow in patches that eventually spread out. It can easily be walked on just like grass. Yet, it does not have to be mowed and lives on less water. IRISH MOSS!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative lawn cover to grass? I fell in love with chamomile and it's apple scent but I haven't succeeded in getting it to spread. Any other suggestions for a nice soft ground cover?

Is it walkabel? Can you walk on it? Besides Irish Moss one of the best and cheapest is Thyme. People often disparage MichganBulb.com because they sell tiny sized plants that may or may not come potted. However, that is where I've purchased all of my lawn substitutes, Thyme, and Moss. Jeepers Creepers website has excellent products but it is much more expensive, http://www.jeeperscreepersusa.com/ but their plants can spread out quicker than others.

Reaction score
Hold on.

You can actually cover ground, in the same way grass does, with ivy or moss!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hold on.

You can actually cover ground, in the same way grass does, with ivy or moss!?
Yes, you can:) And sometimes it looks truly wonderful. In my opinion moss, ivy, clover and other grass alternatives look much more interesting than regular, boring lawns:)
Here are two lovely examples of moss lawns, they're my favorite:

moss-in-shade-l.jpg

FBcover-1024x378.jpg

Reaction score
Yes, you can:) And sometimes it looks truly wonderful. In my opinion moss, ivy, clover and other grass alternatives look much more interesting than regular, boring lawns:)
Here are two lovely examples of moss lawns, they're my favorite:

moss-in-shade-l.jpg

FBcover-1024x378.jpg

That's really lovely! Although it does remind me of an overgrown forest, so that might be why I haven't really considered it as an alternative to the normal grass garden, if you see what I mean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's really lovely! Although it does remind me of an overgrown forest, so that might be why I haven't really considered it as an alternative to the normal grass garden, if you see what I mean?
Yes, I see what you mean, but this is what I like the most about it, I'd love my garden to look like an overgrown forest. I feel that it would be very romantic. Moss always looks so soft and fluffy. Just looking at it calms me down. Being able to lie on it in my own garden would be even better:D

Reaction score
Yes, I see what you mean, but this is what I like the most about it, I'd love my garden to look like an overgrown forest. I feel that it would be very romantic. Moss always looks so soft and fluffy. Just looking at it calms me down. Being able to lie on it in my own garden would be even better:D
Oh I'm not saying that it's a bad thing at all! It does indeed look quite lovely. I might have to look into experimenting on one of the fields with this. Maybe see if it's better for the orchard to use moss rather than grass.

Reaction score
Wow Cluadine, that is really beautiful! Do you have to have a lot of shade for the moss to grow well? Is there fertilazaton involved? I love the look of it, it is so natural looking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No one has mention climate, amount of sun, soil type, etc. and whether you want an area for sitting on the ground or just to view. From my experience unless you live in a wet, rainy climate moss isn't going to grow. If you have lots of moss in your parks and woods go for it. It takes years of careful care and weeding to establish and then a lot of maintenance. I have moss covered walkways, but they take significant work. They don't look very good during the summer dry spell. Yes, I live on the edges of a temperate rain forest.

Thymes, take sun and with care establish well covering an area in a year or so. Need to use pavers or something to help protect the plants if you are waking in the area often. Only occasional foot traffic if you want them to look good. Wooly thyme takes a little more traffic than others and was my favorite. It dies in the shade and needs full sun.

Irish or Scottish moss are not really mosses and need full sun. They take light traffic and as they get older need to be stepped on occasionally because they tend to 'bubble up' and loose contact with the soil.

I wasn't successful with chamomile.

I have ivy hedges, but would be careful to suggest it as a ground cover. A lot of not so pleasant wildlife tends to take up residence. Just something to be aware of.

My recommendation is to always start with a very small section of space. I started with a small patio and planted between the pavers set in a layer of sand. Corsican mint is one of my favorites between pavers. Your area really needs to be weed free before starting otherwise maintenance is impossible.

Good luck and happy gardening with whatever you plant.

Ask a Question