Gourds

Sneezie

Nellie Mosser, Clematis
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5 - 6
Country
United States
Up until 3 years ago, grew my own gourds, let them get as big as I wanted. Removed them from the plant and dried them out. Anyone that has grown and dried gourds knows when they are dried and ready to do what you want with them, shake them and you'll hear the seeds rattleling inside. Well like I said up until 3 years ago. Chipmunks and moles or mice eat them off the plant when they're about 2 inches or so big!! I quit growing them, but would love to have them again. Anyone have any ideas to rid the pests?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When I moved to our new property we had mice and rats everywhere in the old barns. I went to the local humane society and got 2 barn cats. They neutered them and clipped one ear for identification. Every couple of years we are to take them in for their shots. They have pretty well wiped out the mouse and rat population. I am able to keep horse food out there with no problems.

Sneezie

Nellie Mosser, Clematis
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5 - 6
Country
United States
Hmmm have an indoor cat, but even so don't think they'd be much help since whatever is eating ny gourds, they're leaving small holes in the dirt next to plant, and when ive dug down into that hole, theres small tunnels connected with the hole.

Sneezie

Nellie Mosser, Clematis
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5 - 6
Country
United States
Wanted to show you some of the gourds I did. Hope they come thru ok.

Attachments

• Gourds and wreath 002.JPG
    Gourds and wreath 002.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Gourds and wreath 003.JPG
    Gourds and wreath 003.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 122
  • Gourds and wreath 004.JPG
    Gourds and wreath 004.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Gourds and wreath 005.JPG
    Gourds and wreath 005.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 138
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hmmm have an indoor cat, but even so don't think they'd be much help since whatever is eating ny gourds, they're leaving small holes in the dirt next to plant, and when ive dug down into that hole, theres small tunnels connected with the hole.

Do moles or voles eat gourds? What else leaves tunnels?

Ask a Question