Going to give rice a try

Reaction score
Is this economically viable? Surely rice is one of those things that is so cheap that you are better off buying it in the supermarket.

I was just thinking that. Here in Miami, a 5 pound bag of rice can be had for $3 or $4 so I'm not sure that growing your own is worth the effort.
To me, herbs have the best payoff because you can start using them as soon as you have some leaves on your plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was just thinking that. Here in Miami, a 5 pound bag of rice can be had for $3 or $4 so I'm not sure that growing your own is worth the effort.
To me, herbs have the best payoff because you can start using them as soon as you have some leaves on your plant.

Herbs are also easy to propagate so you can multiply mature plants and have more than enough herbs for your needs. Depending on where you live, you can even keep basil going past winter. My issue with rice is the same with garlic. Takes too much time, space, and too many plants.

Ask a Question