Going to give rice a try

Reaction score
Hmm. I have never even considered growing my own rice before.

To be honest, I don't think I'll ever try either. Rice is soooo cheap to buy that it seems like an awful lot of work to do it myself. It might be interesting to try just once, though, to see if I could do it for the sake of doing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Lots of things are cheap to buy, but people grow them anyway. With all the issues today over the manipulation of our food I am up for growing anything I have space for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lots of things are cheap to buy, but people grow them anyway. With all the issues today over the manipulation of our food I am up for growing anything I have space for.

I agree. Also, when it comes to rice, more important for me is how the plant looks than how much rice it produces - the plant itself is so pretty!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I agree. Also, when it comes to rice, more important for me is how the plant looks than how much rice it produces - the plant itself is so pretty!:)

Claudine, a lot of people have grown potato vines over water in a jar, as well as other plants from scraps, for just that very reason. I saw a really interesting web site yesterday on plants you can regrow from scraps and get food:
http://indianinthemachine.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/15-foods-you-can-regrow-from-scraps/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is great, thank you! Plants that grow over water in jars look so pretty, I want to grow something like this too:D . Rice or something else.
After reading your post, I did some research and I found this lovely picture of sweet potato vines:

IMG_4228.jpg

But isn't it only temporary? I mean - for how long can you grow it in the water? You have to transplant it to the ground eventually, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is great, thank you! Plants that grow over water in jars look so pretty, I want to grow something like this too:D . Rice or something else.
After reading your post, I did some research and I found this lovely picture of sweet potato vines:

IMG_4228.jpg

But isn't it only temporary? I mean - for how long can you grow it in the water? You have to transplant it to the ground eventually, right?

Thanks for this; I'd seen an article online that said to cut the sprouts away from the sweet potato and plant them, now I see what they mean. I am going to look into this and get back to you. My grandfather loves sweet potatoes and I think he would get a kick out of me growing some in the back yard.

I was planning on adding potatoes next year, maybe I will include sweet potatoes also. So many good things to grow and eat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
So many good things to grow and eat!

Isn't this absolutely wonderful?:D Growing plants and then eating delicious and healthy food is so much fun. Today I had rice for dinner and I thought about how much better would it be to eat my own rice. This thread inspired me:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, I was inspired after reading the garlic growing thread as well. I love gardening and growing and it's exciting to learn new information and try out new plants. That's one of the great things about the Internet - getting to swap info with all of you!

Reaction score
After I'm done with my celery and carrots I put the bottom end in a bowl of water and they sprout just like that sweet potato. Only leaves grow but I'm sure if I stuck one into some dirt it would grow roots as well. I feed the leaves to my kids pet guinea pigs and they love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Only leaves grow but I'm sure if I stuck one into some dirt it would grow roots as well.

Lanie, from what I understand, the celery can regrow, but not the carrots. Did you see the link on the previous page about growing food from scraps?

There is some debate about whether or not you should eat carrot greens so I probably won't be regrowing them anytime soon. I wonder if the same thing would work with a beet top though...

I am starting to think I should have soaked my rice grains and put them in damp cloth to sprout, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@ChanellG, were you ever able to grow the rice? I was wondering a few months ago about growing some, but I'm a new gardener and didn't want to start by growing something so challenging. I'd love to grow pink Madagascar rice. It's so good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@ChanellG, were you ever able to grow the rice? I was wondering a few months ago about growing some, but I'm a new gardener and didn't want to start by growing something so challenging. I'd love to grow pink Madagascar rice. It's so good!

I've never heard of pink Madagascar rice; I'm going to have to look out for it! My rice didn't sprout, but I'm not sure I was doing the correct thing to get it to do so. I later watched video where rice was put into damp cloth for sprouting - there are some helpful videos on You Tube, including one with a man harvesting rice he grew in buckets. The link is further up the thread in this discussion. See reply #5.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've never heard of pink Madagascar rice; I'm going to have to look out for it! My rice didn't sprout, but I'm not sure I was doing the correct thing to get it to do so. I later watched video where rice was put into damp cloth for sprouting - there are some helpful videos on You Tube, including one with a man harvesting rice he grew in buckets. The link is further up the thread in this discussion. See reply #5.

I saw it one day at Central Market in Austin, and since I had already tried their Forbidden rice (or black rice) and I loved it, I decided to try the pink kind. It's delicious! I also love the nutty smell when it cooks. I was also concerned about the levels of arsenic in rice, and it looks like pink rice has very low levels. It's also organic.

Here's some links if you want to learn more.

http://www.lotusfoods.com/Organic-Madagascar-Pink-Rice/p/LOT-501581&c=LotusFoods@Organic

I watched the video you posted. I wish it had been more informative.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I saw it one day at Central Market in Austin...

I watched the video you posted. I wish it had been more informative.

I'll have to check for it at Whole Foods the next time I am there. The video I shared didn't have any info, but if you go to you tube and check your viewing history, you can get back to the video again and when you're actually looking at it on the site there is some info shared beneath the video.

Ask a Question