Goats Beard dies every year

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a Goats Beard plant that starts out beautifully, but dies before it ever blooms. It’s planted in mostly shaded area with morning sun. I read that it transplants easily. Should I move it to a sunnier afternoon sun spot, when it pops up in the spring? Right now it looks dead, but is planted next to large hostas and ferns that are thriving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Flowers only in morning, so morning sun seems reasonable, and more likely to be moist, essential for flowering.

PS, First post I see, welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had such high hopes for the plant this year. I’ll move it to more sun in the Spring. Goats Beard only flowers in the morning?? How do I tell if mine is a male or female plant. Does it self pollinate? I thought maybe that was the problem, because I only have one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flowers close up about mid-day, it's not just that you always get up late is it :) Those composite flowers are self pollinating as far as I know, but you would still get flowers even on a plant that isn't, it just would not set seed.

Check. There is more than one plant with that name in UK, though they are very similar. Do you have the Latin name in case US English uses the name for something else and we are talking completely at cross purposes?

Last edited:

Ask a Question