Goat's beard (Aruncus dioicus) - why the dying leaves?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

First time poster, looking for any assistance with my young Goat's Beard. The plant is located in a shady area, in a relatively small container with good drainage. I don't believe we overwater the plant although we read these plants do like to be kept moist.

In general, most of the plant looks healthy (so far), while others parts are showing curling of the leaves at the edges, then what looks like 'snapping' of the leaf stems leading to the rest of the leaves completely dying. No obvious sign of any pests or insects, and no physical damage to the plant possible (from anything falling, or walking past etc).

Would anybody have any ideas what the problem could be? (Photos attached)

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20180502_101127-COLLAGE.jpg
    20180502_101127-COLLAGE.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 456
  • 20180502_101137-COLLAGE.jpg
    20180502_101137-COLLAGE.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 413
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Is it outside? It looks like physical damage to me, so maybe caused by wind if it's outside. How shaded is it? They like full sun or partial shade, so maybe try moving it to somewhere sheltered where it gets more light.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Welcome to the forum :)

Is it outside? It looks like physical damage to me, so maybe caused by wind if it's outside. How shaded is it? They like full sun or partial shade, so maybe try moving it to somewhere sheltered where it gets more light.

Hi Becky and thanks for your reply. Yes, it's outdoors, and admittedly it has been stormy this last day or two, but this behaviour already started some days ago. I agree it looks physical, but that's why I mentioned I don't think anybody / anything can hit it.

It is currently in a partial-shady to shady area as I read that's what it likes. Maybe I'll do more reading and see what others are saying about where it should be placed, as I'm reading different reports, for example:

Here - partial to full shade
http://www.finegardening.com/plant/goatsbeard-aruncus-dioicus

Here - full sun to partial shade
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/1665/Aruncus-dioicus-(m)/Details

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's native to woodland areas, so I would have thought that partial shade would be best. That's not to say that it won't be happy in other areas though ;)

Depending on where wind comes from, areas next to solid barriers can often be affected by turbulence:

image_thumb2.png

Source: http://www.thegardeningbible.com/managing-exposed-and-windy-gardens

Barriers that air can flow through a little (ie semi-permeable, like a hedge) are better for creating shelter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
It seems like too much water and not enough sunlight, possibly not enough drainage. could also be climate related. In any event you should have it in full sun and don't over water. They often say partial shade for many plants but most if not all plants thrive better in full sun with proper watering (it's a marketing gimmic), they put "shade tolerant" etc because people often need plants that can preform well in shade. Though that doesn't mean they wont do better in full sun. With that said, this plant does do well in partial shade, just don't drown it and allow drying out periods in between. Growing things in pots vs ground is very different.

Ask a Question