Giant white bird of paradise bugs?!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!

First I want to confirm that this plant is actually a giant white bird of paradise. The nursery salesman didn’t specify and from research this is what I found. It’s also growing so many new leafs so I’m not sure of it needs to be reported to a bigger pot

Also there’s so many Rollie POllie bugs in the soil. I read that they’re practically harmless but should I try to get rid of them somehow? When I water it, I usually see about 10-15 of them

Thank you!!
DE0F2BF2-3CED-4DEA-B6DD-B2815E3013BB.jpeg
CAEDD2A0-B5FE-408D-AD85-5D2B154F31EE.jpeg
3510DB77-F6E1-4450-96D6-E6E71F7A150D.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pill bugs/sow bugs will eat young tender seedlings but are basically harmless to plants in general. They are more of a nuisance than anything else

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pill-bugs (Armadillidiidae, Isopoda) are small arthropods that can roll into a ball when touched or threatened. They will harm your White Bird-of-paradise (Strelitzia nicolai) but may be a nuisance indoors. If you are not squeamish, just pick out all the Pill-bugs that you see and dispose of them. After you do this a few times their numbers should stay greatly reduced, at least in an isolated container grown indoors.

The leaves usually crack or tear due to wind or other mechanical damages. Plants that have been shipped or moved often get such damage. A plant in in a stable, unmoved situation should show less damage, but some can happen regardless.
Some people prefer the torn-leaf look on Bird-of-Paradise (Strelitzia spp.) or even more commonly Bananas (Musa and Ensete spp.) and deliberately tear the leaves to create this effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If those pill bugs annoy you just bury a jar lid up to the rim and fill it about 1/2 full with beer. The bugs are attracted to the beer, will fall in and drown. Outside in the ground bury a straight sided jar up to the rim and use either pieces of apple or beer.

Ask a Question